Premed 101 Forums

Im Electives

RGK

Hi everyone

I am an IMG and a Canadian PR. I would like to do IM residency in Canada so I am planning to take 3 months of clinical electives in IM in Canada.

My question is:

Can I take all 3 months in one subspeciality e.g cardiology ? Or is it better to spread the 3 months across 3 subspecialities ?

I really like cardiology so I think I would perform better if I took all 3 months in Cardio ? But would the IM program directors prefer to see my performance across the different subspecialities ?

Thank you

You want breadth in electives, and I wouldn't suggest even doing 100% IM electives let alone focusing on a single subspecialty. Do one or two cardio rotations at most; the rest should general medicine (consults or CTU) and stuff like ICU and high yield subspecialties like resp, nephro, or heme. 

You want breadth in electives, and I wouldn't suggest even doing 100% IM electives let alone focusing on a single subspecialty. Do one or two cardio rotations at most; the rest should general medicine (consults or CTU) and stuff like ICU and high yield subspecialties like resp, nephro, or heme. 

A breadth in electives ?

Honestly I am surprised to read this........... everything I read on this forum suggested otherwise....

I thought that if one wanted to get into a particular specialty like IM then one should focus all of his elective time on that specialty ?

Is the situation different for IMG's ?

I understand that you are an IM resident A-stark so could you please clarify your point of view ?

As an IMG, I would recommend you do at least one family medicine elective. Otherwise IM is broad enough that you should cover a variety of general medicine and subspecialty rotations. An emerg rotation would be worthwhile too. I would still do mostly IM rotations if that's your goal, but I don't know that doing IM electives exclusively is a good idea. Doing exclusively (or even mostly) cardiology is a bad idea. 

My goal is IM.

Are you saying that I should do a FM elective as a backup in case I don't get accepted into IM (as an IMG I know my chances are limited) or because a FM elective would actually improve my chances of getting accepted in an IM residency ?

Archived