Premed 101 Forums

U Of Alberta Interview Discussion 2015

Oh weird, I thought U of A marks you out of 7 at each station or something according to the pre-interview talk. Well that is a bit of a downer

Yeah they do, and their marrks from 1-7 represent a spectrum of "Below Average" to "Average" to "Above Average". Their criterion of using averages suggests that they rank you relative to either members of your group, or through all groups of 8 (24 total) they've interviewed that day.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Number of prompts used does not affect your score, or that's what we're told to believe. I used multiple prompts in all stations, but the questions at the "creative" stations were a bit strange... and I ended up giving 1-2 sentence answers. It was the only station I had silence with an interviewer for more than 10-15 seconds. 

I thought my interview went well for the most part, although my group of 8 seemed to be really smart and coherent people so I am a bit worried about that, haha. I hope I did well enough to be at least wait-listed, but you never know. Low expectations at this point.  :mellow:

Yeah the creative station was the only one I couldn't go the full 8 mins on. I think it was probably about 5 for me. The prompting questions seemed really shallow, there wasn't really an "original" question, so I'm thinking that it probably isn't too unusual to run out of steam on this one (at least that's what I'm telling myself).

Yeah they do, and their marrks from 1-7 represent a spectrum of "Below Average" to "Average" to "Above Average". Their criterion of using averages suggests that they rank you relative to either members of your group, or through all groups of 8 (24 total) they've interviewed that day.

I disagree. Ranking you amongst your group doesn't make a lot of sense. If the top 8 candidates somehow ended up in the same group, such a system would effectively screw 7 of them over. There's no way admissions would use such a system. "Above Average", "Below Average", and "Average" are just common descriptive terms when marking things like this.

I disagree. Ranking you amongst your group doesn't make a lot of sense. If the top 8 candidates somehow ended up in the same group, such a system would effectively screw 7 of them over. There's no way admissions would use such a system. "Above Average", "Below Average", and "Average" are just common descriptive terms when marking things like this.

I guess that would exclude a fair number of applicants from each group of 8. The language threw me off... saying "average" implies that you have an average to compare to. You've convinced me otherwise. Perhaps they should reconsider naming the 1-7 scores from "Poor" to "Good" ?  :lol:

Yeah the creative station was the only one I couldn't go the full 8 mins on. I think it was probably about 5 for me. The prompting questions seemed really shallow, there wasn't really an "original" question, so I'm thinking that it probably isn't too unusual to run out of steam on this one (at least that's what I'm telling myself).

I thought it went really, really well. Like, I'm in a state of disbelief. Alberta was by far the interview I felt best in... but I'm also wary that I'm only setting myself up for disappointment later.

On 3-4 of the stations, I got the "You've answered most of these already." I think that's a good sign? All of my interviewers were fairly animated with the exception of one. The creative station was extremely enjoyable and I think it's meant to be that way- How can you be creative if you're uptight about it?

On most stations, I took roughly 7 minutes and 15 seconds on my own, largely because I felt confident that I was hitting the mark.

I think that it makes sense that you're ranked within your group. While you can argue that it's not fair because of who you're placed with, it forces interviewers to differentiate candidates (someone NEEDS to be last and first). Anyways, good luck to everyone.

I think we are, otherwise their system of grading from "Below Average" to "Above Average" wouldn't make any sense, no?

Hey, I was one of the set leaders for the MMI interviews and I also attended the interviewer training session (but I wasn't an interviewer this year). 

From what I understand, you are not ranked against your group. That would not be fair since groups are randomized and some groups may have stronger interviewees. You are marked based on your answer and how you justified your answer. 

So think of it as being ranked against all 480(?) candidates. In the end, it doesn't matter which group you are in, the people with the highest average scores on their MMIs are the ones who are ranked higher (not taking GPA, MCAT, ECs into account).

However, there may be a slight bias against your group. Interviewers are told to be as unbiased as possible, but if the interviewer went through 7 people who bombed the station and the last person absolutely blew him/her away, then they may be influenced by that. If 7 people were amazing and you were average, then your score may be a bit lower. That is just the nature of human bias. Take that into consideration. 

I thought it went really, really well. Like, I'm in a state of disbelief. Alberta was by far the interview I felt best in... but I'm also wary that I'm only setting myself up for disappointment later.

On 3-4 of the stations, I got the "You've answered most of these already." I think that's a good sign? All of my interviewers were fairly animated with the exception of one. The creative station was extremely enjoyable and I think it's meant to be that way- How can you be creative if you're uptight about it?

On most stations, I took roughly 7 minutes and 15 seconds on my own, largely because I felt confident that I was hitting the mark.

I think that it makes sense that you're ranked within your group. While you can argue that it's not fair because of who you're placed with, it forces interviewers to differentiate candidates (someone NEEDS to be last and first). Anyways, good luck to everyone.

^ Yay, someone else who was sleep deprived for the interview! I wouldn't blame sleep deprivation for my poor performance. I have nobody to blame except for myself. It just stings this round because we all have to write the new MCATs to reapply, but I know for next cycle, I'll feel a lot more confident for the MMIs.

Met a guy who claims he wasn't admitted into the program last year because  first year students reported him for swearing before the interview/an "attitude" problem. Is this actually a thing? I can see why but wow, didn't even cross my mind to watch my language (though I don't believe I swore, as I very rarely do)

YES! THAT HAPPENS! I know a handful of people that were interviewers over the last few years and they said "your interview starts the moment you enter the building" because they'll flag whoever they can. Even some first years in med now said that there were people last year in their groups that would say 'oh that was soooo easy, im definitely getting in' and they reported them...no acceptances because of that. So in my opinion, that's awesome. I just hope I wasn't too assertive and crazy around the med students. 

@AngiotensinII, did I have a problem there? 

YES! THAT HAPPENS! I know a handful of people that were interviewers over the last few years and they said "your interview starts the moment you enter the building" because they'll flag whoever they can. Even some first years in med now said that there were people last year in their groups that would say 'oh that was soooo easy, im definitely getting in' and they reported them...no acceptances because of that. So in my opinion, that's awesome. I just hope I wasn't too assertive and crazy around the med students. 

Oh wow! 

I don't see how being confident and positive is a flag. Saying to one of the set leaders "I'll see you next year!" shouldn't be a flag.. if anything I would think it's friendly. I can understand if you're swearing and/or being a jerk in general though.

I don't see how being confident and positive is a flag. Saying to one of the set leaders "I'll see you next year!" shouldn't be a flag.. if anything I would think it's friendly. I can understand if you're swearing and/or being a jerk in general though.

I understand where you're coming from but consider it from two perspectives: med students and other applicants.

From a current med student's perspective, it may come off as this applicant is too arrogant and thinks that they'll get in because it was such a joke for them. If I heard someone say 'that was so easy, im definitely getting in', I'd hate to have that amongst my peers if they sounded like jerks.

From other applicants, it shows a lack of sportsmanship and again, arrogance. How would applicants feel like someone sounded condescending like that after a tough interview for them? 

The way you said it "I'll see you next year!" is not worth a flag if its friendly. But coming off as a jerk and having their nose up in the air is enough to say they're a big no-no. 

Hmm... I'm somewhat concerned. When the set leader asked how it went I said "Very well!" They also previously asked for my name prior to the interview (it seemed somewhat out of place...)

Perhaps I was flagged for something?

I don't see why you'd be concerned about that...that's a neutral response and not intended to show off. And prior to interview name asking is just getting to know people in their group? Just relax, nothing you said or did was bad.

If you think you seemed like a jerk or said something offensive in a station, then you'd get flagged. Otherwise, you're fine. But then again, 2/3 of us are getting "flagged" by not getting acceptances so just consider 300 of us won't get in anyways.

Archived