Premed 101 Forums

U Of Alberta Interview Discussion 2015

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone find it ironic how med students are supposed to make the weekend more relaxing? But in reality, they do the opposite?

But how? They're welcoming, inviting, and helpful overall. Just because they need to make sure no one is being an A-hole to other applicants or has too big of an ego doesn't mean they're making the weekend more tense and stressful. If I get rejected for being obnoxious during the weekend, then I need to realize that I'm not being socially appropriate or professional and that I need to fix that before considering getting into med school. They're just doing what they're told and as applicants, we need to just be normal and probably 95% chance that we don't get flagged for a comment outside the stations. 

I usually don't participate beyond reading forum posts, but I see that things are getting a little out of hand here so I decided to create an account and jump in.  Please note that I am speaking as a current medical student and someone who served as an interviewer last weekend.  A few clarifying points:

1) The med students aren't trying to flag "everyone they can" - we would prefer it if nobody needed to be flagged.  So relax!  Unless you did something pretty egregious, you're good.  Remember that all flags are reviewed by the admissions office - so if you were flagged for something trivial it would simply be dismissed without impacting your application.

2)  Confidence is fine, showing a lack of sensitivity probably won't go over so well.  This is rarely an issue - everyone understands that you are coming down from a pretty serious adrenaline high and that some behavior outside your normal character is to be expected as you decompress!

3)  We work hard to make everyone feel welcome and show how accepting our school is.  Hopefully the majority of you had a great time at interviews!  Try to relax, and not ruminate on these forums too much - it's all out of your hands now.  

Met a guy who claims he wasn't admitted into the program last year because  first year students reported him for swearing before the interview/an "attitude" problem. Is this actually a thing? I can see why but wow, didn't even cross my mind to watch my language (though I don't believe I swore, as I very rarely do)

YES! THAT HAPPENS! I know a handful of people that were interviewers over the last few years and they said "your interview starts the moment you enter the building" because they'll flag whoever they can. Even some first years in med now said that there were people last year in their groups that would say 'oh that was soooo easy, im definitely getting in' and they reported them...no acceptances because of that. So in my opinion, that's awesome. I just hope I wasn't too assertive and crazy around the med students. 

@AngiotensinII, did I have a problem there? 

Hahah I am also kind of concerned. One interviewee and I were talking about our (relatively horrible) experience at an event we had met the year before, and I think some swears were thrown around by him. I laughed/agreed with what he was saying and carried on the conversation.

To Harvey or anyone else on here who is a current U of A student/helped out at the interview day, could you guys let us know how "strict" you guys were screening us?

Yes this has definitely happened before. 

The thing to grasp is that if you get into med school, you represent your profession 100% of the time. Everywhere you go, you have the chance of someone knowing that you are a doctor (or med student). Therefore, professionalism should be practiced at all times.

Now obviously this is a bit strict and silly to expect from people. I know that I'm definitely not professional all the time. 

However, on interview day, it is definitely advisable to be as professional as possible (that's why you guys dressed up right?). Set leaders (and all the other med students) did have the ability to report cases of "unprofessionalism" to the faculty, which may flag you (dunno how that process works past this point). 

I don't think you would get flagged for accidentally swearing.. but if you were dropping F bombs every 2 sentences, then yeah that would be flagged for sure. This also goes for attire. Girls (and some guys) who dress "inappropriately" may be flagged before they get into the interview. And this also goes for attitude. You really don't wanna be a dick. 

I personally wouldn't flag anyone unless they're really out of line (racist/sexist remarks, abusive behaviour, etc.).

But at the same time, I understand the thought process behind this. If you cant rely on an individual to be professional on the day of their medical school interview, how can you expect him/her to be professional later on in their practice around their patients/colleagues? 

And finally one last note, if you do get in... 

Remember that the med students in the years above you are going to be your residents during your clerkship years. You don't want them to have bad opinions of you before you even start clerkship. That may affect your chances of matching. 

The thing to grasp is that if you get into med school, you represent your profession 100% of the time. Everywhere you go, you have the chance of someone knowing that you are a doctor (or med student). Therefore, professionalism should be practiced at all times.

Now obviously this is a bit strict and silly to expect from people. I know that I'm definitely not professional all the time. 

However, on interview day, it is definitely advisable to be as professional as possible (that's why you guys dressed up right?). Set leaders (and all the other med students) did have the ability to report cases of "unprofessionalism" to the faculty, which may flag you (dunno how that process works past this point). 

I don't think you would get flagged for accidentally swearing.. but if you were dropping F bombs every 2 sentences, then yeah that would be flagged for sure. This also goes for attire. Girls (and some guys) who dress "inappropriately" may be flagged before they get into the interview. And this also goes for attitude. You really don't wanna be a dick. 

I personally wouldn't flag anyone unless they're really out of line (racist/sexist remarks, abusive behaviour, etc.).

But at the same time, I understand the thought process behind this. If you cant rely on an individual to be professional on the day of their medical school interview, how can you expect him/her to be professional later on in their practice around their patients/colleagues? 

Thanks for this, makes me feel better :).  

Much appreciated

I have a couple of questions about all this business, because now I'm worried after reading these last few pages! 

After completing station 9/10 in the MMI, a couple of the guys beside me were essentially cheering (albeit, so were a couple of the first-year group-leaders), and one of them came in for a high-five - well, I got caught up and couldn't leave the guy hanging - so I high-fived him back. A first-year hall-monitor turned around (she was at the end of the adjacent hall-way) and sternly told us "Just so you guys know, there's still one more station!!" 

As well - I was a few minutes late to registration (long story short, I got a little lost driving around the hospital looking for parking *facepalm*) and ended up being the last person to show up in my group. I know we had about 15 minutes before being ushered into the introductory talk, but does showing up slightly late to the coffee and name-tag pick up spell trouble for me?

I know - I didn't swear, or say/do anything blatantly offensive, but do you think these kinds of 'incidents' would warrant red-flags?

Please feel free to tell me that I'm being obsessive  :)

I have a couple of questions about all this business, because now I'm worried after reading these last few pages! 

After completing station 9/10 in the MMI, a couple of the guys beside me were essentially cheering (albeit, so were a couple of the first-year group-leaders), and one of them came in for a high-five - well, I got caught up and couldn't leave the guy hanging - so I high-fived him back. A first-year hall-monitor turned around (she was at the end of the adjacent hall-way) and sternly told us "Just so you guys know, there's still one more station!!" 

As well - I was a few minutes late to registration (long story short, I got a little lost driving around the hospital looking for parking *facepalm*) and ended up being the last person to show up in my group. I know we had about 15 minutes before being ushered into the introductory talk, but does showing up slightly late to the coffee and name-tag pick up spell trouble for me?

I know - I didn't swear, or say/do anything blatantly offensive, but do you think these kinds of 'incidents' would warrant red-flags?

Please feel free to tell me that I'm being obsessive  :)

You're good lol.

Many groups actually started talking right before the exit interview. A few people tried to talk to me but I just smiled, nodded, and pointed back to the door.  :P

Haha I thought you were talking about me for a second Justified, but then I remembered I offered a high five after the 10th station. Now I'm somewhat afraid of looking unprofessional too.  But someone offered me a high five after Calgary and it felt pretty good so why not share the love? UoA was awesome! Fingers crossed for May...

After the MMI myself and another candidate discussed how we answered the creative question, opinions on this???

Maybe not a good idea if you're in the vicinity where med admissions could hear or see you talking about it in detail? Not just for you both but in case others are around 

Maybe not a good idea if you're in the vicinity where med admissions could hear or see you talking about it in detail? Not just for you both but in case others are around 

Well that's unfortunate... Shucks I guess I wasn't really thinking, it was with our set leader around. 

Archived