Premed 101 Forums

I Know I'm Paranoid - One Last Question

carms2015

Can you tell by the questions you are asked during the interview whether or not you were ranked by the program....i.e. if they are all nice and smiley and ask questions only about your hobbies is that a sign that you were ranked?

i.e. My U of T FM interview was nice...Western FM went wrong in every way you could imagine ....resident was a general surgeon in his former country and asked me some questions on surgical procedures.... i.e. #1 Calot's triangle...#2 what is the next step if appendix looks fine during a lap appendectomy in patient with strong suspicion of appendicitis Apparently you take the appendix out anyways, search for Meckel's

I know that UWO preranks you so I guess my ranking was low and FM resident was having some fun..or didn't get the memo that this is a FM interview

If I were you I wouldnt describe a resident who interviewed you as "douchey" on a public forum. Someone from western could probably identify your interviewer from the details of your description (prior gen surg, moved to canada, now western resident) and if he didn't ask that question to many people then you could be identified and your application could be tossed out based on a post like this. I think it is important during these stressful weeks prior to match day to be careful what you post somewhere public because you don't know who is reading it and who they know.

You can't rely on this to know if you did well. The questions are usually standardised. Some programs I went were all fun interviews, but that was the case for everyone interviewing there. In other programs, we all had very hard questions and all tought we would never match in this program.

You never know.

Rank the programs according to your preferences and not by how you think the interview went.

Questions have nothing to do with ranking; they are generally pre-determined in advance for everyone. 

As for the "douchey" questions, I was asked during one interview essentially to explain how a lightbulb works. It was a weird question, but interesting in retrospect as they had me to go through step-by-step from first physical principles to explain. I wish I could remember it though!

people will tell you this over and over because it is true - it really is.

Just rank your programs in the order of your preference. Doesn't matter how well you thought the interview went or what your actual chance at that school is. All of that doesn't matter.

All that matters if your personal preferences. The algorithm will optimize your chances of getting something you want based  on those choices. There is no advantage to you in doing anything else. Seriously :) You can actually mathematically PROVE that is the case - which you know is actually pretty cool I think.

Archived