Premed 101 Forums

Dr. Davidson.

So upsetting.  Honestly it makes me really happy that guns are so much more difficult to acquire in Canada.  Yes, he could have done the same thing with a knife, blah blah but it just doesn't happen as often, and isn't as easy and quick to do.   

I feel like it's also partly the media.  They do an awesome job of vilifying doctors sometimes.  

It is very, very sad and my thoughts are with the families of the physician and the shooter. Having to come to terms with your relative doing something so horrible must be very difficult, though obviously not anywhere near the horrific loss that the family of Dr Davidson is having to deal with.

Devil's advocate: Davidson's family should sue Pasceri's family.

Not his family, his estate I guess. That's assuming it has any money in it. 

Pasceri probably should have just spoken to the doctor in the first place and then sued him if he was still convinced that it was his fault. She probably died of a normal side effect of the drug and the doctor probably wasn't negligent. But, he could have started a suit to find the answers if he was so obsessed like that.

I don't agree with suing professionals willy nilly. But I'd rather be sued than murdered. 

Being sued is part of being a professional. It's a lot more likely to happen to you than a non-professional. People are going to blame you for bad outcomes even if  you are perfect. It's why you are required to have liability insurance. 

I've never been sued as a lawyer, but we sure pay an arm and a leg for insurance (so do doctors). One of my professors told us that you are not a real lawyer until you get sued, lol. 

Not his family, his estate I guess. That's assuming it has any money in it. 

Pasceri probably should have just spoken to the doctor in the first place and then sued him if he was still convinced that it was his fault. She probably died of a normal side effect of the drug and the doctor probably wasn't negligent. But, he could have started a suit to find the answers if he was so obsessed like that.

I don't agree with suing professionals willy nilly. But I'd rather be sued than murdered. 

Being sued is part of being a professional. It's a lot more likely to happen to you than a non-professional. People are going to blame you for bad outcomes even if  you are perfect. It's why you are required to have liability insurance. 

I've never been sued as a lawyer, but we sure pay an arm and a leg for insurance (so do doctors). One of my professors told us that you are not a real lawyer until you get sued, lol. 

I'm just concerned that there may be no repercussions for the murder. No one seems to be discussing that Dr. Davidson's family just lost someone very special to them (I am not certain if he had a wife and/or children). Will security be enhanced at hospitals in the USA now? Will damages be sought? In keeping with US law, should doctors be allowed to carry weapons to defend themselves? 

Sadly there will be no punishment for the murderer because he's dead. Even more sad, I cannot think of anything that the family of the victim will get. Not off the top of my head anyways. They will probably have life insurance and of course they can sue the shooter's estate, but it may not have anything in it. There isn't any insurance money because the murder was an intentional act.

Increased security at hospitals isn't too bad of an idea. You need to go through security to get into family or criminal court in Ontario. It does not take too much time. Also, it would be a good way to step up health screening for dangerous infections like Ebola. Everyone knows that a lot of people lie about their symptoms to avoid the hassle. It might be a good idea to quickly check everyone for a fever while we make sure they aren't armed!

Regardless though, if someone has a vendetta like this guy did, they could find the doctor outside of the hospital. 

Thing is, if someone is determined to do harm, they will find a way. If the hospital had security systems in place, who's to say the shooter wouldn't have attacked him at his home or on his way in to work?

Tragic things happen from time to time in ways that were previously not thought of. That does not mean we must reactively change how we do things to prevent a specific, abnormal type of crime from occurring again. How often are people murdered in hospitals, and does it make sense to broadly implement security measures to prevent this from happening? I'm of the opinion it is likely not a reasonable use of resources, all things considered. As horrible as this is, as terrible a crime as it is, it does not necessarily follow that it could have been prevented by the sorts of security measures that workplaces typically put in place following security events.

Archived