Premed 101 Forums

University Of Alberta (Uofa) Dentistry Interview Invites 2015

Hi everyone!

I decided to create this post so that anyone applying to the UofA dentistry program this year can share 1) when they hear about interviews (time stamp & date of email), and 2) their stats (DAT scores, GPA). From what I've read, it sounds like interview invites usually come out today or Tuesday, but according to the admissions office, they can be sent out as late as the end of next week. *Fingers crossed* for sooner rather than later.  :)

Hi everyone!

I decided to create this post so that anyone applying to the UofA dentistry program this year can share 1) when they hear about interviews (time stamp & date of email), and 2) their stats (DAT scores, GPA). From what I've read, it sounds like interview invites usually come out today or Tuesday, but according to the admissions office, they can be sent out as late as the end of next week. *Fingers crossed* for sooner rather than later.  :)

Do you know if the invites will be sent to our UofA beartracks email or personal email?

Hi there!

Got an interview oop

Can anyone give me insight into MMI at UofA (if you had interview last year or know friends in faculty)

1)Do they ask questions very specific regarding the school or is it very open broad Qs like other MMI questions

I've been preping for MMI for upcoming med interview and was wondering if I would need to make any adjustments for this school

2) what are the logistics during the MMI track? Is question on the door and you enter on 2 minute buzzer? Is there another buzzer for 2 mins left (ie. The 6 minute mark after entering)

Thanks and good luck to all!

Hi there!

Got an interview oop

Can anyone give me insight into MMI at UofA (if you had interview last year or know friends in faculty)

1)Do they ask questions very specific regarding the school or is it very open broad Qs like other MMI questions

I've been preping for MMI for upcoming med interview and was wondering if I would need to make any adjustments for this school

2) what are the logistics during the MMI track? Is question on the door and you enter on 2 minute buzzer? Is there another buzzer for 2 mins left (ie. The 6 minute mark after entering)

Thanks and good luck to all!

1) No specific questions regarding the school.  School does make up their own questions but the questions follow the standard MMI style.

2) Exactly as you described.

1) No specific questions regarding the school. School does make up their own questions but the questions follow the standard MMI style.

2) Exactly as you described.

Thanks!

Are there any acting or photo stations (show you a picture and describe what it means to you?)

Thanks!

Thanks!

Are there any acting or photo stations (show you a picture and describe what it means to you?)

Thanks!

No.  All stations have a situation described on a paper posted on the door and a question at the end.  A copy of the same page posted on the door is inside the room.  You get 2 minutes to read about the situation, someone blows a whistle, then you enter the room, and begin answering the question.  There are prompt questions your interviewer may ask you.  The interviewers must ask these prompt questions in the exact order given to them.  Your interviewer may choose to ask a prompt question if you are getting off track.  You can also ask your interviewer to ask these prompt questions.  There is nothing wrong with asking for all prompt questions.  You are not penalized at all.  You are marked only on your response.  If you're familiar with CDA style situational questions, the MMI questions are quite similar.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to get some practice with situational questions.  Good luck.

No.  All stations have a situation described on a paper posted on the door and a question at the end.  A copy of the same page posted on the door is inside the room.  You get 2 minutes to read about the situation, someone blows a whistle, then you enter the room, and begin answering the question.  There are prompt questions your interviewer may ask you.  The interviewers must ask these prompt questions in the exact order given to them.  Your interviewer may choose to ask a prompt question if you are getting off track.  You can also ask your interviewer to ask these prompt questions.  There is nothing wrong with asking for all prompt questions.  You are not penalized at all.  You are marked only on your response.  If you're familiar with CDA style situational questions, the MMI questions are quite similar.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to get some practice with situational questions.  Good luck.

So when you say all stations have a situation, does that mean they don't ask any traditional questions? Such as "what is your greatest accomplishment" and "what has been your greatest struggle thus far", etc. Because I know UofA med has those kinds of questions.. (Not sure if you're allowed to answer this, might be too specific)

Hi everyone!

Got my invite a couple of days ago too. My stats were GPA: 4.0, DAT: 68. 

I was wondering, would anyone who has been through UofA interviews before be willing to give those of us who haven't a brief summary of how the whole process works. Not about the questions specifically, but more just a general walk-through. i.e. After you check in at your reporting time (for me 7:30 am - not sure if everyone has the same), what happens? Do they tell you when you will be going in (i.e. what time your set of interviews will start exactly)? Is there an orientation where they show you where the MMI rooms are, and the order in which you are supposed to go from one room to the next, etc.? Also, in the invite it said to be available for up to 3h; is this accurate, or does it take longer? Finally, about how many MMI stations are there?

Also, if there are any women who have been through the process before, what do the majority of female applicants tend to wear for the interviews? Does the dress code tend to be dress pants/skirt with a formal top, or do most wear suit jackets? 

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

Got my invite a couple of days ago too. My stats were GPA: 4.0, DAT: 68. 

I was wondering, would anyone who has been through UofA interviews before be willing to give those of us who haven't a brief summary of how the whole process works. Not about the questions specifically, but more just a general walk-through. i.e. After you check in at your reporting time (for me 7:30 am - not sure if everyone has the same), what happens? Do they tell you when you will be going in (i.e. what time your set of interviews will start exactly)? Is there an orientation where they show you where the MMI rooms are, and the order in which you are supposed to go from one room to the next, etc.? Also, in the invite it said to be available for up to 3h; is this accurate, or does it take longer? Finally, about how many MMI stations are there?

Also, if there are any women who have been through the process before, what do the majority of female applicants tend to wear for the interviews? Does the dress code tend to be dress pants/skirt with a formal top, or do most wear suit jackets? 

Thanks!

Last year they had an orientation group meet  to discuss the program in general ( about 40 min). At that meeting they  told us when they would be sending out the first round of acceptances. Everything took about 2.5 hours last year.  They will lead you to your stations. They run multiple sets of stations.  Most women and men were dressed in business atire - suits.

The MMI process is set up with 7 rooms located next to each other. The first room is a warm up question that does not count. You then go to to rooms 2-7 and finally back to room 1. ( total of 8 stations for 80 min)

A bell sounds and you get 2 min to read each question. The bell sounds again and you enter the room and have 8 min to answer. If you run short of things to say the interviewer will prompt you along. The bell sounds after 8 min and you move to the next room quickly as your 2 min is ticking away....

You are scored out of 7 marks for each of the last 7 stations for a total mark of 49. Average mark for admitted students is about 35 out of 49.  If you prepare for  three weeks you should be fine. ( just dont say anything stupid!)  .

Good luck to everyone.

So when you say all stations have a situation, does that mean they don't ask any traditional questions? Such as "what is your greatest accomplishment" and "what has been your greatest struggle thus far", etc. Because I know UofA med has those kinds of questions.. (Not sure if you're allowed to answer this, might be too specific)

No.  They are all situational.  Some might be more open ended than others (e.g. If you had the chance to have dinner with anyone, who would it be and why).

Last year they had an orientation group meet  to discuss the program in general ( about 40 min). At that meeting they  told us when they would be sending out the first round of acceptances. Everything took about 2.5 hours last year.  They will lead you to your stations. They run multiple sets of stations.  Most women and men were dressed in business atire - suits.

The MMI process is set up with 7 rooms located next to each other. The first room is a warm up question that does not count. You then go to to rooms 2-7 and finally back to room 1. ( total of 8 stations for 80 min)

A bell sounds and you get 2 min to read each question. The bell sounds again and you enter the room and have 8 min to answer. If you run short of things to say the interviewer will prompt you along. The bell sounds after 8 min and you move to the next room quickly as your 2 min is ticking away....

You are scored out of 7 marks for each of the last 7 stations for a total mark of 49. Average mark for admitted students is about 35 out of 49.  If you prepare for  three weeks you should be fine. ( just dont say anything stupid!)  .

Good luck to everyone.

Thanks so much walterk! This is extremely helpful.  :)

For anyone who has been through the interview process before, I just have a few more questions I would be really grateful to have answered.

Firstly, for the photo we have to send in, it says to list your program. Is that simply your degree (e.g. B.Sc./B.A. in _____)? 

Secondly, in between the initial orientation and the actual MMIs, do you get at least a short bathroom/water break, or from the time you get there is it 3 hours non-stop with no breaks? (I know that there is no break time during the MMI part itself, but I was wondering if you get a break right before.) Also, is there somewhere safe to leave personal items (e.g. purse, water bottle) during the MMI part? And does the UofA give you a paper and pencil for the MMIs? 

Finally, in one of the sources I am using to practice, it lists several "rules" (unofficial) for MMIs. These include the fact that you MUST knock before entering the room, that you should not immediately sit down, etc. However, the source is from a different university and is for med. school, so I am wondering: does the same apply for UofA DDS MMIs? Can someone please describe how this works? Do you knock before entering? Do most of the interviewers shake hands, or do you just immediately sit down and start talking? Are you supposed to introduce yourself to the interviewer? Also, can anyone say how UofA scores answers (if you can't discuss this, that's fine too!)? Specifically, I am wondering if the UofA is one of the schools where each score can only be given out once (so someone gets a 1 and someone gets a 7) or can scores be given out multiple times? 

Thanks!

For anyone who has been through the interview process before, I just have a few more questions I would be really grateful to have answered.

Firstly, for the photo we have to send in, it says to list your program. Is that simply your degree (e.g. B.Sc./B.A. in _____)? 

>>>Yes.  B.Sc. in whatever...   They want a quality photo so that means a trip to the photographer shop. Also you will be wearing that picture on your U of A hospital ID for the next 4 years...so think of that when you get it done!

Secondly, in between the initial orientation and the actual MMIs, do you get at least a short bathroom/water break, or from the time you get there is it 3 hours non-stop with no breaks? (I know that there is no break time during the MMI part itself, but I was wondering if you get a break right before.) Also, is there somewhere safe to leave personal items (e.g. purse, water bottle) during the MMI part? And does the UofA give you a paper and pencil for the MMIs? 

>>>You get a quick break before the MMI process. Dont recall any place to store stuff., ..I only brought a pen. They provide you with a U of A tote bag with a pad of paper and water bottle. I had no time to write anything during the interview as you get about 90 sec to read the paper on the door and think out an answer. ( by the time you get out of the room and walk to the next room you wasted 30 seconds)

Finally, in one of the sources I am using to practice, it lists several "rules" (unofficial) for MMIs. These include the fact that you MUST knock before entering the room, that you should not immediately sit down, etc. However, the source is from a different university and is for med. school, so I am wondering: does the same apply for UofA DDS MMIs? Can someone please describe how this works? Do you knock before entering? Do most of the interviewers shake hands, or do you just immediately sit down and start talking? Are you supposed to introduce yourself to the interviewer? Also, can anyone say how UofA scores answers (if you can't discuss this, that's fine too!)? Specifically, I am wondering if the UofA is one of the schools where each score can only be given out once (so someone gets a 1 and someone gets a 7) or can scores be given out multiple times? 

Thanks!

>>> They will go over the rules of what to do before the MMI starts. I recall knocking on the door. The interviewer was a bit of a distance across the table so it was ackward to shake hands. I introduced myself and started to talk. It was a blur as the 80 min was over in what seemed like 15 mins.

>>> I assume 7's can be given out mulitple times based on the scores of others.

Good luck!

Archived