Premed 101 Forums

Australia 2016

Hey, I just thought I would start a thread to see who/where people are applying to in Australia for the 2016 intake. So far I've applied to UQ, USyd, ANU, and Deakin. I'm thinking I might also apply to Griffith since its in such a nice location. For reference my stats are: 30 MCAT (11 VR/ 10 BS/ 9 PS) and 3.08cGPA, which would be a lot higher if I didn't get a 0.58 GPA my first year :/. Also, if you are applying to anywhere outside of Australia, you can post that too because I have also applied to Jagiellonian School of Medicine in English, in Krakow, Poland. 

I am kind of inclined towards applying to international schools incase I don't make it to Canadian but I am not sure about the prospects of becoming a doctor as an international student in Australia for example. Have you looked into this? There seems to be a lot of contrasting info on these forums.

Apply to US schools after Canadian schools, before even considering abroad.

• 1 month later...

Last I heard (went to one of their info sessions hosted by their recruitment rep with a friend who was considering them), USyd's entry criteria was extremely competitive, on par with Canadian schools. Has their cGPA average requirement dropped since then?

Last I heard (went to one of their info sessions hosted by their recruitment rep with a friend who was considering them), USyd's entry criteria was extremely competitive, on par with Canadian schools. Has their cGPA average requirement dropped since then?

The issue isn't entry requirments really, but prospects of actually getting a residency(which is what matters) after doing a degree abroad. It works for some, doesn't work for others - it's all about the averages and hard to predict how one will fair against it.

The issue isn't entry requirments really, but prospects of actually getting a residency(which is what matters) after doing a degree abroad. It works for some, doesn't work for others - it's all about the averages and hard to predict how one will fair against it.

Yes, I'm aware of the situation with residencies.

I was asking specifically about the realistic entry averages for Canadians seeking to be admitted into universities such as Usyd or UMel.

Anyone know what the typical GPA range for accepted international applicants is?

Yes, I'm aware of the situation with residencies.

I was asking specifically about the realistic entry averages for Canadians seeking to be admitted into universities such as Usyd or UMel.

Anyone know what the typical GPA range for accepted international applicants is?

It is much lower than it is in Canada. Something like 28 MCAT 3.5 GPA is realistic for Sydney and Melbourne. 

Sydney says they consider anything over a 2.7 GPA and a 8/8/8 on the MCAT, considering they have 80 spots for international students this does mean the program is not likely to be too competitive, certainly nowhere near the competition for Canadian medical schools. Do note that the competition levels for Australian students is incredibly high as well. 

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/usyd-and-mcat.573181/

I looked at this thread and it said that Sydney does 50/50 MCAT and Interview and anything over a 2.7 GPA is irrelevant. 

It is much lower than it is in Canada. Something like 28 MCAT 3.5 GPA is realistic for Sydney and Melbourne.

... Do note that the competition levels for Australian students is incredibly high as well.

Interesting.

So essentially, their international med program is a straight up cash grab.

With no assurance of residency positions available after graduation and a metric :$@ton of debt, as well as uncertain odds of matching back to Canada for residencies into competitive specialties/to desirable locales, one would really be rolling the dice by going to AUS.

Not to cast any shade on your choice though, Realaircanada. I can only imagine the resolve it takes to go down a path like that and hedge your bets the way you're doing.

Interesting.

So essentially, their international med program is a straight up cash grab.

With no assurance of residency positions available after graduation and a metric :$@ton of debt, as well as uncertain odds of matching back to Canada for residencies into competitive specialties/to desirable locales, one would really be rolling the dice by going to AUS.

Not to cast any shade on your choice though, Realaircanada. I can only imagine the resolve it takes to go down a path like that and hedge your bets the way you're doing.

If you want to put it bluntly, yes. Australia's universities are short on funding and this is a good way for them to make that up. This applies to nearly every international program in every country. If it wasn't for the cap on international seats in the UK by the NHS, the UK would be no different. I was disappointed that schools like Sydney and Melbourne were willing to drop their requirements so much just to make money, but they are a business in the end, and that money goes to fund their research or pay salaries. 

It can be a win-win situation if you match, or its a win-lose situation if you don't. Either way, the universities win if they have bums in the seats. 

Archived