Premed 101 Forums

International Applicants

What are the chances for a prospective international (U.S.) applicant (applying this summer 2015, for entry in Fall 2016) to get into McMaster University Medical School? 

Do the averages of the accepted applicants cross over for international applicants? 
I'm not sure if Canadian undergrad grading systems are the same but generally for my university it is: 
97+ = A+ 
93-97 = A

90-93 = A-

Having just one "A-" will drop your GPA, making the maximum possible GPA a 3.9 (out of 4.0)

My Stats: Currently 4th year undergrad

• GPA: 3.926
  • VR Score: 7 (yeah, I know it's terrible)

Extracurriculars: 

• Paid Work (2 years): Teach English to international students (the students are mostly from Brazil, China, Japan, Korea, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait) 
  • Volunteer (3 years): Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at a Hospital 
  • Leadership (3-4 years): Vice President of an academic honor fraternity, Secretary of the national academic org at my school's chapter, and also a member in a social and community service org 
  • Research (2 years): Intern in a research lab under the Pediatrics Department at a medical school 

Are extracurriculars weighed heavily to receive an interview invite? Or to get accepted? 

Any information relating to international applicants, will be much appreciated! 
Thank you so much in advance for your time :)

Mac doesn't accept many international applicants (one in the last four years), though there don't appear to be any real disadvantages in that regard aside from the fact that you wouldn't be considered an Ontario applicant (Mac places a limit on non-Ontario applicants receiving interviews).

However, with a VR of 7, your chances are extremely low, international applicant or not.

This somewhat depend on your GPA, which would likely change somewhat from your stated level as Canadian schools do not generally use the system you describe. Still, having even a 4.0 would only move your chances from being a near-impossibility to a significant long shot. ECs don't matter at Mac, so those wouldn't help you out.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your chances of receiving an interview at McMaster, let alone an acceptance, are quite low.

Thank you so much for the honest feedback! 

If I retake it (MCAT 2015), when is the "deadline" of having the MCAT completed for this upcoming cycle? 

At the latest, the last seating that would be eligible is in late September 2015.  I don't know the exact date but I know MCAT scores must be released by November 1st, and AAMC takes ~35 calendar days to get back to you with your scores.  I'm sure exact dates will come out closer to when the application cycle begins.

Well, there aren't that many schools that even accept international students (a lot of them require proof of Canadian citizenship). 

University of Toronto requires a 9 or a 10 minimum?

So basically, because I meet the bare minimum requirements for McMaster and it doesn't require Canadian citizenship. The fact that it's a 3-year program, is a huge plus for me :) 

The 3-year schools in the US are mostly only offered to those who want to go into primary care. I'm not 100% certain what kind of physician yet, so I want to be open-minded. 

Why Canada? It's right there, literally. Really close to home (U.S.) 
I didn't go away for undergrad (commuted from home to save $$), so I thought it'd be good for me to study away this time, but not too far. 
I have really good time management because of commuting; thus, I won't say I regret not going away for undergrad. (I wake up at 5am every day, drop off brothers at school, take them to school with me when they're on break but I'm not, etc.) 
In essence, I think going away will do me some good in developing more independence and growing as a person. 

Well, there aren't that many schools that even accept international students (a lot of them require proof of Canadian citizenship). 

So basically, because I meet the bare minimum requirements for McMaster and it doesn't require Canadian citizenship. The fact that it's a 3-year program, is a huge plus for me :)

The 3-year schools in the US are mostly only offered to those who want to go into primary care. I'm not 100% certain what kind of physician yet, so I want to be open-minded. 

I didn't go away for undergrad (commuted from home to save $$), so I thought it'd be good for me to study away this time, but not too far. 

I have really good time management because of commuting; thus, I won't say I regret not going away for undergrad. (I wake up at 5am every day, drop off brothers at school, take them to school with me when they're on break but I'm not, etc.) 

In essence, I think going away will do me some good in developing more independence and growing as a person. 

not to discourage you, but you'd have way, way, way better chances in the US

there's actually lots of Canadians who go to med school in the US because they couldn't get in here, and often people with 35+ MCATs and 3.9+ GPA's

If you have in-state status in the US, I'd apply there 

You need a 9VR for U of T, 10 for other schools, and 11for the rest

A 7 won't even get your  file looked at here unfortunatly

not to discourage you, but you'd have way, way, way better chances in the US

there's actually lots of Canadians who go to med school in the US because they couldn't get in here, and often people with 35+ MCATs and 3.9+ GPA's

If you have in-state status in the US, I'd apply there 

You need a 9VR for U of T, 10 for other schools, and 11for the rest

A 7 won't even get your  file looked at here unfortunatly

Oooh I figured out the "quote" feature xD 

Thank you for your honesty, flipflopped. I sincerely appreciate it!! 

I am applying to US med schools as well. Just thought I'd also try applying to one school outside of the US and try my luck haha, I'm considering retaking the new MCAT to see if i can improve my chances overall 

Also consider the tuition for McMaster's as an international student. It's almost in the 6 figures... It's way more expensive than even some of the best private institutes in the states. 

Source: http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/tuition.html

You can also look into McGill. I know they also take international applicants and they don't require the MCAT, I believe.

I dont believe all of the 3 year US schools actually require you to sign anything forcing you into primary care. I would give them a try too. 

Any way of getting pr or citizenship? Long shot but would help slightly. 

What is your composite MCAT score of all 3 sections?

Also consider the tuition for McMaster's as an international student. It's almost in the 6 figures... It's way more expensive than even some of the best private institutes in the states. 

Source: http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/tuition.html

You can also look into McGill. I know they also take international applicants and they don't require the MCAT, I believe.

I can get PR from familial sponsor. Which I plan on doing, if a miracle happens and they accept me ^__^

I dont believe all of the 3 year US schools actually require you to sign anything forcing you into primary care. I would give them a try too. 

Any way of getting pr or citizenship? Long shot but would help slightly. 

What is your composite MCAT score of all 3 sections?

I researched a bit into 3-year programs. The main reason why more schools are opening up 3-year programs is to alleviate the expected shortage in primary care physicians in the next decade. Also, the ones that aren't geared towards primary care require you to stay at the top of your class. I don't know if I can do that.. Haha

If there are others that it don't know of, I'm all ears!

I can get PR via familial sponsorship! But I will only go through that process if I am 100% going to go to a school there (in other words, get accepted which I have accepted the fact that is unlikely)

I don't feel comfortable sharing my exact composite MCAT score, just because I put a lot of information in this post already... And considering the fact that there aren't many international applications, I feel like it's too much identity disclosure.

But I can say that it's not spectacular, and it's in the accepted range for most US med schools.

Thank you for your response btw :) and everyone else I haven't yet thanked!

If you get PR, your options open up slightly. You can apply to more schools, so before considering Canadian schools get PR. Not the other way around.

Yes while some us 3 yes are opened with intent to help pump out people pursuing primary care- very few actually restrict you to only applying primary care. So you would be under no obligation.

Thank you ubc2012, you have been so helpful!

As for PR status, would PR card holders be considered the same as citizens in terms of how much they would be charged for tuition & fees?

Would PR grant "in province" label or "out of province" label?

Also what is the difference between the two in terms of acceptances / fees?

For U.S. public universities, they have cheaper tuition & fees for those who are in-state residents.

For example, if you live in New York and get into a public university in NY, your tuition will be about half the of what out-of-state (e.g. Californian) students would pay.

Sorry for bombarding everyone with questions :/

I'll gladly help those who have questions about U.S. Med schools! :)

• 1 month later...

Thank you ubc2012, you have been so helpful!

As for PR status, would PR card holders be considered the same as citizens in terms of how much they would be charged for tuition & fees?

Would PR grant "in province" label or "out of province" label?

Also what is the difference between the two in terms of acceptances / fees?

For U.S. public universities, they have cheaper tuition & fees for those who are in-state residents.

For example, if you live in New York and get into a public university in NY, your tuition will be about half the of what out-of-state (e.g. Californian) students would pay.

Sorry for bombarding everyone with questions :/

I'll gladly help those who have questions about U.S. Med schools! :)

PR is equivalent to citizen, but the IP vs OOP label depends on where you have been living for the last few years. You can be a PR but not be IP if you are living in BC for example. 

Archived