Premed 101 Forums

Hospital Volunteering Interview - High School Student

SeaandMountains

I am a high school student in Ontario and I applied to volunteer at a hospital in Toronto. I went to the information session yesterday, where they basically told us key things about the hospital and explained the rest of the process etc.

So basically it works like this: 

1) fill out application, get health screening done, get three reference forms filled out. 

2) go to information session after receiving an invitation

3) go to the interview, get health screening approved by the hospital

4) training, probationary period of three months

5) volunteer for nine more months! (the commitment is to volunteer for a minimum of one shift per week for at least a year. 

So now I'm thinking about the interview, and I'm trying not to be worried, as that will inhibit my ability to relax during it. My public speaking teacher always says to 'practice, practice, practice.. and then relax.' 

My question is, what is the best way to prepare? I looked up sample interview questions, but I want to know what I can do other than research.

I have attached my resume so you can see my experience so far. Please help!

Thanks, 

SeaandMountains

Hey there,

The interview I had when volunteering at a hospital was nothing serious. I've heard they let almost all volunteers in, but that was 5 years ago. As long as your references are in check and you seem like a nice person when they interview you, you'll get it.

They just ask standard questions like why do you want to volunteer here, what area would you like to volunteer in, why do you think you'd be a good fit for this volunteer position? 

Hello! 

I agree with the two individuals who've posted before me and your resume seems fine. The only thing I'd recommend changing is under "Skills" where you've written, 'teaching others'. Try to be more specific. Ex. Teaching students, tutoring, etc. 

Good luck. I hope you enjoy your time volunteering. 

IMO one shouldn't post personal things like resumes on public forums such as this. It is a bit different if you open a thread and seek people to review your resume then privately send it to someone who appears legitimate (e.g. has a long history of posting on the forum etc) but this is akin to just throwing personal info out into the world of the internet. Just not something I would be comfortable with given identity theft, plagiarism etc. 

Thanks everyone! 

I'm happy to hear that it won't be too hard. I was just worried it might be like a job interview - and the closest thing I've had to an interview would have to be my interview to volunteer at a library, years ago. Okay not that many years. I'm just worried I won't be able to answer those questions confidently. Anyway, wish me luck!

Thank you medhope15 - I deleted my resume from my post. I thought it would be fine because I blanked out my name and any other personal info.

Archived