Premed 101 Forums

Situation.... Share Your Story - Below 3.8 Gpa!

So this is my case...

Always wanted to be an MD... but like everyone have to do an undergrad...so I did nursing.

I graduated from nursing 2014 - so I am currently an RN (working part-time) BUT apparently 3 yrs of nursing do NOT COUNT because of the pass/fail for the clinical components.

So after graduating i went into psyc...i am currently a psyc student as well (full time) and will get a second degree next year but I am doing the pre-reqs within this degree.

PROBLEM is...i suck at chemistry...like really bad. so basically my gpa is 3.6/4

I do have 2 medical papers published though in medical journals with MD's (I am involved in a lot of research -researcher- apart from being a nurse).

seeing my GPA and having one more semester to go where i need to get all A+'s if i want at least a 3.65/4 makes me so anxious - which i know shouldnt be because at the end whats meant to be is meant to be - just work hard and have faith in God.

BUT doesnt Hurt hearing out other peoples situations where it all seemed cloudy and dark before the sunlight came through - ie got accepted into MD school with lower than a 3.8 gpa

I'm still in undergrad as well, but I do know that the average GPA's at Dal and MUN are generally 3.8, and I don't think MAC is far off, but there's a lot of other factors to consider, and I'm not sure how if those schools have actual cutoffs. Some schools are out for sure, but if your a resident of a place besides ON (based on the past averages) people get in all the time with 3.8

it just feels like everyone has a 3.95+ sometimes...

I'm still in undergrad, but hopefully I'll be able to share my low GPA story one day :)

My first year GPA was 2.78

Anyone in their right mind would heavily consider giving up after a horrible GPA like that but I didn't give up and worked my butt off in second and third year. Ended up with 3.87 in 2nd year and 3.94 in 3rd year currentlly. The weighing formula for almost all schools will save me and I'll just have to keep working on my EC's, research ,and ace the MCAT.

• 2 weeks later...

If you read the Calgary interview invite thread this year, there's actually quite a few people receiving interview invites with 3.5 GPA's (and not counterbalanced by 40+ MCAT's). Just keep applying to schools that are in-line with your profile as a candidate, and eventually it'll come together for you.

I'm in a similar boat and agree that MCAT and other experiences can sometimes outweigh a lower GPA, but not for every school. Some schools will prefer to take a higher GPA as a cutoff above all else (e.g. Ottawa) but others are a bit more holistic (Toronto, Mac). It's all about the culture of the school. I spoke with advisors about this and basically many schools believe that they can teach a "smart" student everything they need to know in med school. So it might be great that you are a nurse who can demonstrate professionalism, collaboration, research skills, but they think a kid with a 4.0 and maybe less "real life" experience has a higher IQ and capacity to learn and those other skills can all be learned. So focus more on holistic schools which might favour someone more "mature" and experienced over someone younger with just a strong GPA to show.

Also don't discount the US schools. Yes, they cost money. But do you want to be that person who spends 5 cycles trying for Ontario? Apply and see what happens.

Archived