Premed 101 Forums

Post Interview Feelings

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

donno exactly how it went cause it was so fast pace but most of the stations were pretty good other than few that I felt shaky. I remember there was one station that the interviewer was so hostile lol. I wanna get into UBC, it was my first time being in Vancouver and I am just in love with the city :)

Felt pretty much the same. I made a few jokes in one station and the interviewer had a chuckle, in another one I managed to identify the source of a photo in my picture station after I answered the follow up questions and the interviewer and I bonded a little. In one of my stations, I brought up a personal anecdote from my travels and my interviewer literally said "I shouldn't be telling you this, but..." and shared a similar experience she had. Hopefully that was a good thing...! 

I thought it went very well. Every station felt great, and I felt satisfied even in stations with the less friendly interviewers. The writing station wasn't as scary as I thought it'd be (although who really knows how they assess it haha).

Kudos to UBC staff and students for the best organized MMI I've participated in - very clear setup! Like MD20, it was my first time in Vancouver, and I fell in love with the city. May 15th can't come any sooner!

Hard to say, I didn't think mine went great and it feels worse as time goes by... :( Oh well the way I try to think about it is that we've all come so far, and for them to say that they want to interview us means something. I absolutely loved UBC, the current students and my fellow interviewees so I really hope to be part of the class, but if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, and I'll just try again next year.

Sorry to hear you don't feel great about it  :( However, post-interview impressions are often very different from the final result (as I've learned through experience), so don't at all lose hope!

I also am blessed to have been invited for an interview, and we've all made it quite far no matter what the result is.

I don't think it was my finest hour. I was close, but my thoughts could have been more organized and elegantly stated.

I'd share the same sentiment!

Most of my interviewers were pleasant, one of them I could tell was playing "bad cop" and trying to grill me a little on my responses to a specific situation. I felt I held my ground and was firm, but fair. :)

But nothing can be changed now, hopefully our personalities shine through and we all hear good news! 

I definitely was really relaxed once i got through the first station, and actually was pleasantly surprised by the topics of the stations. All of them were actually very enjoyable and fun to partake in. Could my answers have been more clear? Heck yes! Do i regret it at all? Nope! - Doesn't make it any easier that its a 3 month wait though! 

Good luck everyone and hope that we all hear good news May 15th! 

Honestly I don't get it, why it will take 3 months for them to send the final results. I am pretty sure the evaluation wont take more than a month tbh. I would love see a day when Canadian med schools don't play with our(pre-med) souls lol

agreed. since they already have our interview scores. Only need to look at the reference letters and essays I suppose. 

The other thing is that they want to send it at approximately the same time as all other ontario schools.

But that's just my opinion

Felt pretty much the same. I made a few jokes in one station and the interviewer had a chuckle, in another one I managed to identify the source of a photo in my picture station after I answered the follow up questions and the interviewer and I bonded a little. In one of my stations, I brought up a personal anecdote from my travels and my interviewer literally said "I shouldn't be telling you this, but..." and shared a similar experience she had. Hopefully that was a good thing...! 

Some of my interviewers were so pleasant & friendly that I actually suspected they were doing it on purpose to derail me from the original question :P . I happily played along and brought it back to the topic being asked.

I don't think it was my finest hour. I was close, but my thoughts could have been more organized and elegantly stated.

I felt the same way. Maybe.......... if I had made more effort or paused and thought more intensively, I would have been able to analyze and balance a topic better. But, I am not certain that placed in the same situation again I could have perform very differently. I did feel the fatigue after no.8 and maybe BS'd through the last 2-3.

Its natural to come up with better and more thorough answers AFTER the interview.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm among the group who came out of the interview feeling alright but felt worse about it as time went on. Now I can't get through a day without worrying about it. I wish we didn't have to wait 3 months. Does anyone have any speculation as to how they evaluate us post interview? I know UBC has always been quite tight-lipped about it, but maybe some sort of formula where AQ and NAQ is a certain %, with added interview scores, reference letter scores, and MCAT scores?

I'm among the group who came out of the interview feeling alright but felt worse about it as time went on. Now I can't get through a day without worrying about it. I wish we didn't have to wait 3 months. Does anyone have any speculation as to how they evaluate us post interview? I know UBC has always been quite tight-lipped about it, but maybe some sort of formula where AQ and NAQ is a certain %, with added interview scores, reference letter scores, and MCAT scores?

Can only speculate.

I felt alright during the interview and hindsight is 20/20 - don't beat yourself up, we can't change anything now.

Except to pray to whatever you pray to - or begin praying to something haha.

If it is any solace, I also felt worse as time went on because I kept on lamenting on what could have been said or how it could have been improved on. I was still accepted in the end, so sometimes your own judgement is not the best gauge for your performance!

Put it this way: you've had multiple weeks now to dissect and criticize your responses. The interviewers had only 9 minutes (if you count the 2 minute reading period). Realistically, you can take any answer and criticize it if you had an ample amount of time. If you felt alright after your session, that's great. 

Try to relax everyone, I know it's tough. May will come sooner than you know it.

Archived