Premed 101 Forums

Post Interview Feelings

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my friends got rejected last year despite having above average interview score and really high GPA/MCAT. so yeah red flag is always there lol

wow..that is bizzare :S I wonder what exactly would make someone with above average/high gpa/mcat get rejected :S    

I'd like to think those of us who interviewed with low stats...still have a chance, and not have to be the top percentile scorers on the interview or something..

.... and then there's those of us who get interviewed, get put on the wait list, and find out on August 24th that we were finally rejected and had an above-average interview.  I don't wish that on anyone!

Sorry to hear that! Any idea how many people they waitlisted last year/how much movement?

Nobody knows exactly the number. In a previous year, they ran out the waitlisters. They had to call some rejected applicants back on the waitlist again. To avoid that happening again, I guess, they now put more people on the waitlist, maybe 50-60?  :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that! Any idea how many people they waitlisted last year/how much movement?

Must have been a flag.

Tells that ANYTHING is possible. But there's always more likely and less likely.

Makes me wonder what it could have been? You'd think people in their situation wouldn't risk falsifying information and be smart enough to choose recommendations from people who wouldn't write "this person is terrible" or the likes.

Weird

Makes me wonder what it could have been? You'd think people in their situation wouldn't risk falsifying information and be smart enough to choose recommendations from people who wouldn't write "this person is terrible" or the likes.

Weird

Hehe.

Reminds me of the scenario where employer 2 calls supervisor at employer 1 to inquire about a guy and everything is okay until they get asked "Would you hire him again", Ans - "Are you kidding me, I cant stand that guy!".

You won't know where you are on the waitlist.. and there are multiple lists for the different sites as well

I don't think so... If you are on the waitlist and a spot pops up at any of the sites, as long as you ranked that site, you are placed there.

There is a waitlist for already accepted people to get their most preferred site but that's different. I'm pretty sure how that works (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that if a spot opens up, they go down the list of accepted applicants to the highest ranked person who ranked the campus of the open spot higher than the campus they were originally assigned to. That person's spot at their less preferred campus then goes to the waitlist, as per what I described above.

My memory is a bit foggy as it's been a year since I thought about it, but that's how I'm pretty sure it works.

I don't think so... If you are on the waitlist and a spot pops up at any of the sites, as long as you ranked that site, you are placed there.

There is a waitlist for already accepted people to get their most preferred site but that's different. I'm pretty sure how that works (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that if a spot opens up, they go down the list of accepted applicants to the highest ranked person who ranked the campus of the open spot higher than the campus they were originally assigned to. That person's spot at their less preferred campus then goes to the waitlist, as per what I described above.

My memory is a bit foggy as it's been a year since I thought about it, but that's how I'm pretty sure it works.

Do you happen to know if once a person accepts, they're placed at that site even if their preferred site becomes available later?

Do you happen to know if once a person accepts, they're placed at that site even if their preferred site becomes available later?

I think that is the whole point of being put on the waitlist for your preferred site, it would seem logical anyways to be offered a spot at your preferred site if it opens up, and then your 2nd choice site(which you accepted) would be freed up.

I think that is the whole point of being put on the waitlist for your preferred site, it would seem logical anyways to be offered a spot at your preferred site if it opens up, and then your 2nd choice site(which you accepted) would be freed up.

Agreed. There's a blog post about all this out there somewhere. I'm not just making it up. :P

Thanks! Where did you learn that though?

Did a bit of searching for you to help ease your mind.

Are my grades from the current academic year looked at?

We evaluate grades from courses taken during the current application cycle only for applicants who receive an offer to the program or who are placed on the waitlist. For applicants who receive an offer, we recalculate the overall GPA or adjusted GPA (if applicable) with the new coursework added in. If the resulting GPA has dropped 5% or more from the overall or adjusted GPA we calculated during our file evaluation in the fall, the Admissions Selection Committee reserves the right to revoke the offer of admission

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/frequently-asked-questions/

:)

That'd be very helpful but probably impossible to get.

I wonder if there are any rough statistics of how many people get waitlisted/ultimately accepted, from people who were waitlisted last year?

I'm satisfied with all aspects of my application except my MCAT score. It's below the accepted average and I hope that isn't enough for a rejection. Has been on my mind non-stop lately.

Archived