Premed 101 Forums

Failed Dat Is It Possible To Improve?

So I just wrote the DAT exam today and I failed it.

Chem and reading sections were easy but I guessed so many questions for bio and I completely guessed the TFE section of the PAT.

This was my first time writing this test and I felt like they didn't give us enough time... Are we really expected to finish everything within the given time?

Also, is it really possible to improve on the PAT section with practice?

Chem and reading sections were easy but I guessed so many questions for bio and I completely guessed the TFE section of the PAT.

This was my first time writing this test and I felt like they didn't give us enough time... Are we really expected to finish everything within the given time?

Did you write the canadian DAT or the american dat? IIRC only the american DAT gives you the score right away - if you dont have your score, then you dont have an accurate idea of how you did.

Long ago when i was considering dentistry, i had taken the american DAT. I would suggest Crack Dat PAT for Pat review. It was perfect to get a strong PAT score. Get the medium level one with 10 tests, that will be enough. 

Get Chad's videos for chemistry, go through them and do DAT destroyer for both biology and chem. 

If you're doing the canadian dat, then you dont have to worry about QR and Orgo.

Did you write the canadian DAT or the american dat? IIRC only the american DAT gives you the score right away - if you dont have your score, then you dont have an accurate idea of how you did.

Long ago when i was considering dentistry, i had taken the american DAT. I would suggest Crack Dat PAT for Pat review. It was perfect to get a strong PAT score. Get the medium level one with 10 tests, that will be enough. 

Get Chad's videos for chemistry, go through them and do DAT destroyer for both biology and chem. 

If you're doing the canadian dat, then you dont have to worry about QR and Orgo.

I wrote the Canadian one. I will try Crack DAT PAT. Thank you so much :)

Unfortunately time is the biggest source of stress and pressure, especially for the PAT and reading section.

Crack DAT PAT is very helpful. I only used that and purchased top score pro...and hardly used it (i do not recommend it). I can help you out with the bio and chem section to ace it the next time you write it.

and you might do fairly well or better than you think because your mark depends on the applicant pool that wrote it with you.

Goodluck and don't stress out!!

Agreed, I did crack dat pat as well.

I was scoring 15 and 16 on the practice tests initially and got it up to about a 20 fairly consistently but managed to get a 21 on the DAT.

If you're writing the Canadian Dat the only other thing I would recommend is doing angle ranking on paper as practice.  I found angle ranking on a computer and on paper to be two different skills (at least the way my mind works)

Agreed, I did crack dat pat as well.

I was scoring 15 and 16 on the practice tests initially and got it up to about a 20 fairly consistently but managed to get a 21 on the DAT.

If you're writing the Canadian Dat the only other thing I would recommend is doing angle ranking on paper as practice.  I found angle ranking on a computer and on paper to be two different skills (at least the way my mind works)

Is there a trick for the angle ranking section? I am clearly not born with an angle ranking skill

Is there a trick for the angle ranking section? I am clearly not born with an angle ranking skill

i started scoring angles near 90%...but it went down to 66% on average once i learned all the other sections ahaha. But the trick is to just look really really fast between the angles...cover the excess "hands" with your finger and see out of 2 which is smaller and then start ranking them.

for me whenever i looked really fast between the angles (all 4) i would come up with a sequence...and that was the answer most of the time.

don't worry if you screw up angles...hardly anyone does good in that (its pretty much a luck game on test day). Practice the other sections so you score high on those to compensate angle section.

Goodluck

I personally used a process of elimination technique to get rid of the 'obviously incorrect' answer choices... it would tpyically come down to two answers and then I would have to decide between the last two. Mind you this doesn't work for every angle-ranking question, but it helped me get most of them correct.

As others sugested.. practice the other stuff so that you could potentially ofset the score! I ended up doing quite well on the PAT section using Bootcamp and the IQ publications practice exams

Archived