Premed 101 Forums

Mcmaster Pa Application Cycle 2015

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are they sending out wait listed first for some reason?

No, I emailed and was told "The PA Program has sent the first round of interview invitations"

A masters and a 4.0 doesn't cut it? Lol wow

I know...I really thought I had put together a strong application overall. I was afraid that it would come down to overseas med school vs PA for me....now it seems if things don't go my way on May 12 I may not even have the PA option to consider :( 

Wait listed as well, got the email at 1:40

I'm an IMG, GPA 4

Hi, Dansab:

If you are IMG (International Medical School Graduate), then why would you become a PA?

And with GPA 4??

Assuming what you say is true, I think you are definitely overly qualified for PA.

So may I suggest that you withdraw from the wait list.

Please go on with your own profession, and that will increase the chance for some who die hard want to become PA.

Thank you!

Hi, Dansab:

If you are IMG (International Medical School Graduate), then why would you become a PA?

And with GPA 4??

Assuming what you say is true, I think you are definitely overly qualified for PA.

Please go on with your own profession, and that will increase the chance for some who die hard want to become PA.

Thank you!

An IMG would need to apply and hope to get a residency position, and then go through a 2-5 year residency program +/- fellowship. I think it's a mature decision to back up and apply to something like PA with an IMG background because your chances of matching aren't great. We don't know the persons circumstances but generally speaking there comes a time in life where we want to move on, get a job, ect

Hi, Dansab:

And with GPA 4??

Thank you!

I know it seems irrational, but for me it was a very well informed decision. 

Being an IMG doesn't make me less passionate than anyone else here.

I've assessed my options before applying but thanks for the suggestion though!

Hi All,

I emailed admissions, as it says on the McMaster PA website that they had sent out the first round of interviews, and all applicants will hear by the end of April. I hadn't heard anything so I was curious. Heard back and they said my application was not selected for the first round. Didn't say I was wait listed or rejected. Sort of seemed like rejected by the email, but it wasn't officially said in it. It seems as thought they send out different waves, and are hesitant to say 100 percent that you are rejected until the end of April I guess. 

I was very curious and wrote back asking about the stats for this year. I thought I would be somewhat competitive and was sad!

The email said it was very competitive this year. They received OVER 640 applications this year!!! They are interviewing 72 applicants, and will accept 24. WOW! Very competitive.  

I have 3.45 undergrad GPA and a 3.8 GPA in a Master's of Public Health program from the US, which I finished 5 years ago. I have been working in public health research for 4 years, for 3 different projects. I have a variety of extracurriculars, including a lot of hospital work in different areas, and have done an HIV internship in Africa, student council in both undergrad and graduate school, award for master's thesis, traveling, head of student dorm in grad school among other things. Definitely disappointed.. 

Anyhow, I thought that may give some info for those who are waiting.

Thanks for the heads up, lab2185.

The competition ratio for McMaster PA this year is then 1:27.

That is almost twice as competitive as medical schools in Canada.

Those of you who will not be attending at the scheduled interview at Mac for whatever the reasons may be, please let them know as soon as possible.

Do not just walk away, but please contact and clearly inform them that you are not coming.

This will create new spots for interview for some in the waiting list.

Thank you.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

According to Mac PA site, it is clearly stated, "All applicants will be notified of their admission status by the end of April."

I was waitlisted for MMI.

However, I have not heard anything as of today, May 02 - this is kind of weird.

McMaster MMI for PA admission is going on this weekend.

Confused, I feel I am left out here in limbo..

Will there be another set of interviews after this session?

Do I still have a chance to be called for an interview?

Waitlisted people, did you get any email from Mac?

Update on May 4th:  Contacted McMaster PA program and got email from them today.  Pretty robotic and indirect message saying that there were many more applicants this year and that interviews were over.  Well, I will have to move on to my second option then...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I wanted to let you know that I had my interview last Saturday (May 2) and got an offer of admission today!!

The interview was the most intimidating thing I've ever done, but it allowed for time to recover and ease into it as it was 12 stations of 8 minutes each. I can't discuss any content, but I can assure you that you CAN prepare for an MMI. Read sample questions and do a practice run, even if it's just a couple questions with a friend or family member. I started off feeling really shaky but by the end of it, I came out thinking I did the best I possibly could have.

I hope everything works out for all you beautiful people, thank you to everyone who wished me luck before my interview!

Cheers,

Janna

I went to UofT and Mac interviews both for PA. Such bad luck i'm having. I was so sure i'll get atleast one offer.

Refused admission at UofT, but still nothing from Mac.

I tried to enjoy the process of MMI (and I really did) and give genuine responses, but I guess at the end of the day, you're being evaluated so there's no brownie points for being yourself and having your individual approach to scenarios.

Hope it helps.

I went to UofT and Mac interviews both for PA. Such bad luck i'm having. I was so sure i'll get atleast one offer.

Refused admission at UofT, but still nothing from Mac.

I tried to enjoy the process of MMI (and I really did) and give genuine responses, but I guess at the end of the day, you're being evaluated so there's no brownie points for being yourself and having your individual approach to scenarios.

Hope it helps

I also did bad at the MMI's but I feel like being yourself is key! Haha can't really talk cos we both suck at interviews apparently : )

I just feel like that's what they are looking for. They have your grades and everything, they just want to know your personality

Archived