Premed 101 Forums

Able To Use Current (Old) Mcat For Us Schools And Retake For Canadian Schools?

If I submit my application early for US schools and book a retake for sometime later in the summer/fall but before the Canadian application deadline, can I use my current score for US schools and my new score for Canadian schools? My current score is decent and I am literally only planning to retake to get past Western's Bio cutoff.

You have to indicate on your primary whether you will write another MCAT for this cycle. If you say yes, then the schools won't review your file until you get the new score back. If you say no and later on the schools find out that you actually are going to write another MCAT, then it's called lying.

As ubc2012 mentioned, the schools will find out because all MCAT scores must be released.

Actually I would also like to know in regards to a similar situation.

I am planning on applying to american schools and some canadian schools (even do I am shit out of luck for canada), however, I plan studying for the new mcat and possibly taking it closer to NEXT year (so NOT in time for the canadian cycle), like December, January, or even April. Would that still count as "current cycle" and needed to be disclosed?

Actually I would also like to know in regards to a similar situation.

I am planning on applying to american schools and some canadian schools (even do I am shit out of luck for canada), however, I plan studying for the new mcat and possibly taking it closer to NEXT year (so NOT in time for the canadian cycle), like December, January, or even April. Would that still count as "current cycle" and needed to be disclosed?

Yes, the cycle runs all year. BUT, if you aren't taking it until December(do they even offer the test in December?) then I wouldn't bother noting that, as it would make zero sense for them to wait until December to look at your app- by that point most places are getting full. 

I believe you wouldn't even be able to book the MCAT for those specified months at the time you submit your application - so you would not be lying or anything of that effect. Anyone can "think" of writing the test, but until you actually book it, then it is a non-issue.

Essentially, your first score is what will be used for your US app cycle..and maybe if you get the 2nd score would be some last minute clutch thing, but not much effect.

Yes, the cycle runs all year. BUT, if you aren't taking it until December(do they even offer the test in December?) then I wouldn't bother noting that, as it would make zero sense for them to wait until December to look at your app- by that point most places are getting full. 

I believe you wouldn't even be able to book the MCAT for those specified months at the time you submit your application - so you would not be lying or anything of that effect. Anyone can "think" of writing the test, but until you actually book it, then it is a non-issue.

Essentially, your first score is what will be used for your US app cycle..and maybe if you get the 2nd score would be some last minute clutch thing, but not much effect.

Oh yea, sorry, not December. Yea, I am only thinking about it, as I may want to try to see if I can give myself a shot in Canada (31, 9 in VR, Ontario IP, 3.5 cGPA = "too stupid for canada"...)

Best two years and maybe you have a shot? Otherwise 3.5/9VR is probably out for Ontario and OOP..

I want to do it precisely for the best 2 years (3.1, 3.1, 3.8, 3.9 so far this last year). I originally took the mcat in Aug and got a 26, then again in jan and got the 31. Taking a year off as I apply to American schools and really work on VR (now CARS or whatever). 

Archived