Premed 101 Forums

Moving To Another Province Post-Residency

This is quite a bit down the road for me but I was wondering if any medical students would know. From my understanding, the province you complete your residency is the province you will be licensed in. Is it easy at that point to move to another province? It seems like you just complete some forms for the regulatory body of that province, but there have also been articles (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/doctors-still-face-issues-moving-between-provinces/article588975/) saying that many people get their applications rejected.

Does it vary by province? By your specialty?

Should be a non-issue. This article is also from 2011.

Additionally, the ones in question having difficulties are those IMG's who are on special licenses. 

"The issue is that restrictions on special licences, which can include requiring the holders to be supervised by more experienced physicians and only allowing them to operate if the province has a shortage of the physicians' specialty, are not equivalent across provinces."

Essentially people who agree to work in certain underserved areas, then wanting to get out of it and move to a different province. It is alot more complicated than that, but as long as you're not on a special license - it shouldn't be difficult at all logistically, finding an actual job in certain specialities is another story all together.

From my understanding, the province you complete your residency is the province you will be licensed in. Is it easy at that point to move to another province?

Actually the province you are licensed in is the one you apply to. For CMGs it is just a matter of some paperwork (the degree of annoying-ness of this depends on the chosen province). You are in no way obligated to be licensed (and therefore py the licensing fee) in the province you complete your residency.

Archived