Premed 101 Forums

Hospital Volunteering Interview - High School Student

SeaandMountains

Some of you have read my post before about my interview to volunteer at a hospital. I asked about possible questions, and that really helped. 

I now have a general question, and that is, of whoever has volunteered at a hospital, what were your experiences like: 

1) Is there anything that really stands out to you in terms of a negative/positive experience?

2) What kind of duties do volunteers have?

3) To what extent are volunteers involved with patients/doctors?

4) Conflicts?

5) Teamwork/Collaboration?

These are just prompts to get your mental cogs going. Say whatever you like, anything you share about your experience working at a hospital as a volunteer is helpful!

Some of you have read my post before about my interview to volunteer at a hospital. I asked about possible questions, and that really helped. 

I now have a general question, and that is, of whoever has volunteered at a hospital, what were your experiences like: 

1) Is there anything that really stands out to you in terms of a negative/positive experience?

2) What kind of duties do volunteers have?

3) To what extent are volunteers involved with patients/doctors?

4) Conflicts?

5) Teamwork/Collaboration?

These are just prompts to get your mental cogs going. Say whatever you like, anything you share about your experience working at a hospital as a volunteer is helpful!

I was a wayfinding volunteer for a few weeks, and I found it incredibly boring. Mostly because not many people would ask for help for where they are going. I suppose even if they did need help, I still found it boring. The only reason I took it was because it was the only position available at the time, and returning volunteers get first crack at the new positions for next term.

I think, to some degree, it's what you make of it. Chances are, you'll be assigned menial work/duties if you're new but if you show a high degree of competency, you might be able to ask for different "more substantial" roles. If you treat it like something you have to do to put on paper and just wheel patients in wheel chairs day in day out, it's not going to be a beneficial experience. But if you spend time interacting with other staff and health care professionals, you can build connections for more meaningful opportunities.

I didn't volunteer in a hospital exactly, but an independent surgery centre. I perfected my bed-making, box-cutting, patient-wheeling skills (super high-level duties, eh?) and got offered a job there. And now I'm in talks about getting referred for a medical mission abroad.

So don't be turned off by the initial grunt duties they might assign to you. If you show them you're capable of more, I'm sure you'll be moving up quickly! :)

I think, to some degree, it's what you make of it. Chances are, you'll be assigned menial work/duties if you're new but if you show a high degree of competency, you might be able to ask for different "more substantial" roles. If you treat it like something you have to do to put on paper and just wheel patients in wheel chairs day in day out, it's not going to be a beneficial experience. But if you spend time interacting with other staff and health care professionals, you can build connections for more meaningful opportunities.

I didn't volunteer in a hospital exactly, but an independent surgery centre. I perfected my bed-making, box-cutting, patient-wheeling skills (super high-level duties, eh?) and got offered a job there. And now I'm in talks about getting referred for a medical mission abroad.

So don't be turned off by the initial grunt duties they might assign to you. If you show them you're capable of more, I'm sure you'll be moving up quickly! :)

Its just that I've had so many meaningful volunteer positions before that the wayfinding one just didn't stack up. I have never been that bored and clock watching at a position before. Normally I'm very into it and offering to spend extra hours to help whatever the goal is. Toughing it out through a position you find boring, I don't think I could do it for volunteering. Maybe if there was a high chance of advancement then yes. But I think it is pretty rare to volunteer at a big hospital and then get offered a job at the hospital. Just a hunch

• 2 weeks later...

Archived