Premed 101 Forums

Trying To Match In Canada And States In The Same Year?

nelsojc

Hi, somebody told me you can only choose to try to match either in Canada OR the States each year....I was under the impression you could try to match in Canada and if you don't match you could apply to the States? Can somebody inform me how exactly this works? Thanks!

Just one annoying error in your statement since I have OCD personality disorder. You have to apply to both matches (NRMP starts in summer / Carms also starts in the summer) in order to match in U.S. or Canada....it's not like you apply to the U.S. match after you find out you didn't match into Carms.

Interviews w/ NRMP are on rolling basis and they pay for hotel, meals, etc. and are actually fun...for Carms it was like 100s of people for a few spots so that was very nerve racking and you could feel the competition - i.e. one of the prairie schools we briefly see one of the attending's patients - was discussing the case with a fellow CMG after the interview during the tour and he was like "I don't discuss anything"...anyways my perception

I am a US-MG applying for ortho from a top 5 U.S. medical school.

You can apply to both Carms and NRMP but can only match in one.

This year March 4th is Carms and March 20th is NRMP - which ever you match in first is the one you end up in.

Also some U.S. schools offer "pre-match offers" even though officially they don't exist anymore this requires you to completely pull out of both matches.

Are you a IMG or USMG or CMG? Because USMG are still considered in the same pool as CMG - don't know if there exists any bias

Just one very annoying error in you statment since I have OCD personality disorder. You have to apply to both matches (NRMP starts in summer / Carms also starts in the summer)....it's not like you apply to the U.S. match after you find out you didn't match into Carms.

I am a US-MG applying for ortho from a top 5 U.S. medical school.

You can apply to both Carms and NRMP but can only match in one.

This year March 4th is Carms and March 20th is NRMP - which ever you match in first is the one you end up in.

Also some U.S. schools offer "pre-match offers" even though officially they don't exist anymore this requires you to completely pull out of both matches.

This. 

You apply to both, and if you match into whatever one happens first (CaRMS usually), then you automatically get pulled from the other match system. 

It's a tricky situation, so you have to plan carefully to optimize your chances of getting into the desired speciality/location etc.

Archived