Premed 101 Forums

9 Courses By Dropping 1?

Head Squeeze

I made a not so smart move of taking an introductory language course in my fourth year and ended up with a D on my midterm 
(25%) despite getting A/A+ on 2 quizzes before, each worth 10%

Now I have to make some tough decisions so some feedback would be good.

I can either drop this course and end up with 9 courses this year. There is no requirement to take this course or get this credit for my degree. Which medical school applications would have a  problem with this, US and Canada especially UBC? I have had full course loads for first 3 years of undergrad.

Or take this course and put more time and effort into it which might mean my other courses would not get as much attention.

Thanks for the input.

Ubc won't care. Nor will US schools. Only some Canadian schools will preclude you from using a weighting formula.

well that is kind of a big deal for those schools. Also many schools will not consider the year at all.

Kind of important to look at the entire situation - how good are those other years, and what are the target schools the OP is looking at

I would say let's break it down - GPA by year, MCAT scores, ECs. Devil is in the details. That being said it is very likely the answer is to drop it and carry on as you say :)

well that is kind of a big deal for those schools. Also many schools will not consider the year at all.

Kind of important to look at the entire situation - how good are those other years, and what are the target schools the OP is looking at

I would say let's break it down - GPA by year, MCAT scores, ECs. Devil is in the details. That being said it is very likely the answer is to drop it and carry on as you say :)

Agreed, was on my phone when I posted that and meant to put in brackets: (but contact the schools or look at their websites to see how you would be affected by weighting).

Archived