Premed 101 Forums

11:30Am Mmi Start ----> Pearson For 6:20Pm Flight... Doable?

I have another interview on the Sunday at 8AM.  So my options are a flight that leaves at 6:20pm and gets in at 8pm or a flight that leaves at 10pm and gets in at 12am.

I really do not want to take the later flight.  Do you think this earlier flight timeline is possible?  Ideally I would find a GO route from Hamilton to Toronto (Mississauga) but I haven't really figured that part out yet....

Any input is appreciated.

I think the first step should be finding out the timeline of the Mac interview (I assume Mac cause you say from Hamilton). I personally don't have one there so don't know how long it's going to take. GO train to union takes about 2 hours (http://www.gotransit.com/timetables/en/schedules/schedules_window.aspx?tableid=01&dir=E&date=2015-02-26&corridorname=Lakeshore%20West&parentid=1) and from there I forget how long it takes to get to the airport. I'd say another hour at least.

If your interview ends by noon I think it'll be fine. I also wouldn't take the later one because if it gets cancelled you're kinda screwed.

Sorry I was incredibly vague and possibly misleading in my original post.

The interview at Mac is at 11:30am on the saturday.  Their timeline says it will be about 4 hours, finishing around 3:30pm.  So that would give me just under three hours to get from the Mcmaster interview onto my plane out of Pearson International.

My brother goes to Mac and I think he was talking about GO Buses that go to either Bramalea or Square One and then on to the Airport, but since it's the weekend I'm sure the schedule is significantly reduced.

Less than three hours feels like I am going to be stressed out of my mind.  Ha.

The interview at Mac is at 11:30am on the saturday.  Their timeline says it will be about 4 hours, finishing around 3:30pm.  So that would give me just under three hours to get from the Mcmaster interview onto my plane out of Pearson International.

My brother goes to Mac and I think he was talking about GO Buses that go to either Bramalea or Square One and then on to the Airport, but since it's the weekend I'm sure the schedule is significantly reduced.

It's doable. There won't be much traffic on the way to Toronto (given no calamitous conditions or inclement weather) and you could probably reach Pearson in 45-60 minutes and board your flight with time to spare. 

I live in Hamilton and have made the commute to Toronto many times, albeit this was with my own vehicle and not a Go Bus. Make sure of the timing with somebody who has taken a Go Bus, and you should be fine! 

I have another interview on the Sunday at 8AM.  So my options are a flight that leaves at 6:20pm and gets in at 8pm or a flight that leaves at 10pm and gets in at 12am.

I really do not want to take the later flight.  Do you think this earlier flight timeline is possible?  Ideally I would find a GO route from Hamilton to Toronto (Mississauga) but I haven't really figured that part out yet....

Any input is appreciated.

Hi there. I did this last year actually :P

I had the later MMI for McMaster, and then had a ~6pm flight to Saskatoon for my UofS interview. Essentially after your MMI you're free to go. So I didn't stay for the information session (with the video) and the tour. My parents were waiting outside with the car and we immediately drove to Pearson.

So yes, it's doable. Best of luck!

This will be incredibly difficult by public transit in that amount of time, especially if you have not made the trip before. If anything went wrong you would miss your flight, and this is coming from someone who always gets to his flights 10mins before they leave. If you can rent a car, then you can do it, but otherwise, give yourself at least 1 hour more time. Take the 47 to square one and then the 7 to the airport. Don't go via the union station route.

• 3 weeks later...

So me and Fleming ended up taking the Go to Square One and then Mississauga transit to the airport.  We got to the proper terminal 25 minutes before our flight was to take off.  Of course, we both ended up getting 'randomly' selected for additional screening at security.  While we were getting screened, we were clearly in view of the Gate that the flight was leaving from and we saw that all passengers had already boarded and there were just a few Westjet reps standing at the Gate.

One of the most nerve-wracking journeys ever.

so recoil- you and Fleming can tell all your new med school classmates in the fall what an experience you had on interview weekend.....it shows your determination and poise under pressure- very good qualities to have - glad you got to your destination ;)

Quite an adventure. As it turns out, it wasn't the closest I had. On my return trip, I went to the wrong airport in Toronto, and ended up having to pay 60 bucks for a cab, only to arrive at the other airport 5 minutes prior to departure. 

I think I may be developing a reputation around Toronto's airports as "that guy."

Archived