Premed 101 Forums

Does Undergrad University Prestige Matter To American Med Schools?

New Yorker

Hi 

I just got accepted to U of T life sciences

since I am a student with a study visa I have to apply to American schools for med. 

In the long run would it be worth it to risk my grades and choose prestige (U OF T) over universities like SFU Biomedical Physiology and UBC Science? If I get good grades in SFU or UBC  would that be better than going to U OF T and receiving a mediocre mark (GPA 3.5 etc.) in getting into American medical schools? 

Thanks 

There shouldn't be that big of a discrepancy in grades on average between UBC and UofT, it is really program dependent more than anything. Grades are more important than the prestige, hands down.

if you aren't a Canadian citizen or PR, then I would go to whatever school you feel the most comfortable at and can perform the best. I would recommend UBC or SFU, since Vancouver is awesome.  

But no, American med schools don't care to the extremes you're implying.  

Thanks for your comment! 

So you are saying UBC Sciences is equally difficult to U of T Life Sciences when getting marks? To be honest im getting really worried because im hearing that its basically impossible to achieve decent marks for medical school in U of T. Of course wherever I end up, I am going to try my best. But I just don't want my choice to be something I regret in the future.

The better statement would be why you personally are choosing one of these schools over the others etc. 

If you're going to apply to US medical schools in the first place, why not go to a cheap 2 year college then transfer to a state school to finish your degree? I assume money is a concern, as even for international students  Canadian schools tend to be cheaper than US schools.

Archived