Premed 101 Forums

Low Gpa - Master's Or Second Undergrad?

Hi everyone! I am a long-time lurker and made an account to post my stats. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am in my 5th year at McMaster to increase my GPA and get research experience. 

Undergrad so far:

1st year: 3.19

2nd year: 3.49

2nd year summer (took Orgo, did not do well): 2.3

3rd year: 3.63

4th year: 3.83

5th year: 4.0 so far (I am hoping to get a 3.95+ this year to become competitive with Ottawa's wGPA scheme but I'm not sure if it's possible this term)

*I have taken the the 3/5 courses as per Westerns requirements and I have had a full course load each year.

Did my MCAT last summer: 

PS: 10

VR: 9

BS: 12

I was really hoping to meet Western's cutoffs with my MCAT but it didn't work out. I am going to write the new MCAT to improve my VR score.

I have been told that my extracurriculars are pretty good - please correct me if this is not true (exec of mental health club, residence advisor, orientation week rep, employee of student union, hospital volunteer, volunteer tutor, and now getting research experience with my thesis). However, I haven't gotten any awards or publications.

For the upcoming year, I have applied to a Masters in Epidemiology and Masters in Public Health. I have also applied to second undergrad degree in Accelerated Nursing in hopes maybe working as a nurse afterwards and then reapplying to medicine later. I am fine with working as a nurse for a while but ultimately, I'd still want to apply to medicine eventually. Any advice on what would help my application the most?

I know some of these questions have been asked multiple times but I really needed realistic opinions.  I keep reading non-trad stories of success and I was just wondering if anyone could offer advice. Thanks in advance!

Hey, If I were in your situation I would not do a second undergrad. Your GPA is actually not too bad, it is definitely O.K for Mac, Western, and Queen's. Doing a masters would not only help you boost your GPA but it will also provide exposure to more research opportunities and possible publications, all of which will strengthen your application. 

Good decision to re-write the MCAT. if you end up with an 11VR and the same BS/PS scores you WILL get an interview at western. You will also have an exponentially better chance for Mac as long as you're doing good on CASPer. 

Keep in mind that your GPA is not too bad (especially the last few years in your undergrad) so you will benefit more from improving your MCAT and EC's. 

Also, I personally don't think your EC's are "amazing", they are definitely not bad but I don't think they are enough to make you stand out from the other applicants. Almost everyone has some club/research/hospital experience. Again, it's not too bad but you can definitely keep working on it to maximize your chances. 

Best of luck.

I'm not sure whether the second degree would be terribly helpful. Assuming you do get that 3.95 in your last year, and that you have 30 credits per semester...

Queens 2YGPA: 3.89, probably above "cutoff" already so I don't think there's a point in a second degree

Ottawa wGPA: 3.86, too low right now, if you really think you can pull of ~ 4.0 in a second degree, then maybe, but that's a big risk

Western: above cutoff, so no need for second degree

UofT: too low right now, do the calculation to see how many credits you can take off and whether a second degree will help, U of T GPA requirements are super high though

McMaster: ~3.6... borderline right now, but would need a 12+ (13?) verbal and excellent CASPER performance. Yes, a second degree could pull you up. Do the calculation to see how much it could pull you up though. cGPA is quite hard to bring up though, speaking from experience.

Why do I say borderline at McMaster? As an OOP, I got an interview with a 3.55 cGPA (I think...) and a 13 Verbal. It is possible.

So, based on the above schools, a second degree *might* help you at Ottawa, U of T and McMaster IF you can guarantee you'll do extremely well (i.e. 4.0). The second degree would not help you at all for Queens and Western. I've heard mixed things about nursing degrees and how they are counted in GPAs, there are some concerns because of the large number of pass/fail courses, and (in my opinion) an accelerated degree is even harder to do extremely well in.

So, as a means to get into med school, I'm not sure a second degree is the most valuable addition. That said, nursing would give you excellent experience and provide a solid career option. If you decided to re-apply for medicine down the line, that could be very helpful.

Masters... I would read the sticky thread on graduate degree policies. U of T is likely the most significant benefit, but from what I understand, research productivity is key. Read the thread, though. 

I think focussing +++ on the new MCAT would open doors for you. That would get you a Western interview, and open up McMaster.

What is your cGPA? 

Your best two years is competitive for Queens/UWO - assuming you make their MCAT cutoffs. 

I think it is a tough call - I don't think the masters will inherently improve your odds at the schools mentioned, as the limiting factor for you is the MCAT. Your ECs seems fairly strong. 

Would you be just as happy with a masters degree, and the career prospects of that route in the mean time while you apply for medicine? 

Do note that your grades in nursing could backfire on you as well- i've hear some courses are fairly subjective and such, so it isn't necessarily a guaranteed 4.0 and you could run into issues of credits and all that jazz.  

TBH, if medicine is your goal - i wouldn't bother with the masters or the 2nd degree. I would focus on destroying the MCAT and then you will have more options not only in ontario, but at OOP schools that favour the MCAT more (Manitoba, USASK). You would derive more direct benefit from that option - and save alot of time and money by not jumping into another degree program, and its associated hurdles - ones that you don't really need to take on.

UofT: too low right now, do the calculation to see how many credits you can take off and whether a second degree will help, U of T GPA requirements are super high though

Masters... I would read the sticky thread on graduate degree policies. U of T is likely the most significant benefit, but from what I understand, research productivity is key. Read the thread, though. 

Wow, thank you everyone for all your help! I have been leaning towards the Master's degree but I feel as though it would only have a large impact on my UofT application. And I still won't meet the UofT avg acceptance GPA (~3.94 this past year) even with the removed credits. What are the prospects at UofT after a Master's degree with ~3.8 adjusted GPA?

Also I will definitely rewrite the MCAT and focus on verbal. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure whether the second degree would be terribly helpful. Assuming you do get that 3.95 in your last year, and that you have 30 credits per semester...

Queens 2YGPA: 3.89, probably above "cutoff" already so I don't think there's a point in a second degree

Ottawa wGPA: 3.86, too low right now, if you really think you can pull of ~ 4.0 in a second degree, then maybe, but that's a big risk

Western: above cutoff, so no need for second degree

McMaster: ~3.6... borderline right now, but would need a 12+ (13?) verbal and excellent CASPER performance. Yes, a second degree could pull you up. Do the calculation to see how much it could pull you up though. cGPA is quite hard to bring up though, speaking from experience.

Why do I say borderline at McMaster? As an OOP, I got an interview with a 3.55 cGPA (I think...) and a 13 Verbal. It is possible.

So, based on the above schools, a second degree *might* help you at Ottawa, U of T and McMaster IF you can guarantee you'll do extremely well (i.e. 4.0). The second degree would not help you at all for Queens and Western. I've heard mixed things about nursing degrees and how they are counted in GPAs, there are some concerns because of the large number of pass/fail courses, and (in my opinion) an accelerated degree is even harder to do extremely well in.

So, as a means to get into med school, I'm not sure a second degree is the most valuable addition. That said, nursing would give you excellent experience and provide a solid career option. If you decided to re-apply for medicine down the line, that could be very helpful.

I think focussing +++ on the new MCAT would open doors for you. That would get you a Western interview, and open up McMaster.

Okay wait so was your GPA a 3.55 when you were admitted into medical school?

13VR, and it seems like 0.1GPA is ~1VR point

so it'd be like a 11 with a 3.75

just a guess, but 13 is way above average so I'm sure its easily do-able given MAC's weighting

13VR, and it seems like 0.1GPA is ~1VR point

so it'd be like a 11 with a 3.75

just a guess, but 13 is way above average so I'm sure its easily do-able given MAC's weighting

Yea that is an impressive score, I hear some ppl find the VR to be difficult, how did you find it/prepare?

Complicated answer. Yes, my McMaster cGPA was 3.55 as an OOP when I was invited to interview. Can't say if I would have been admitted because I declined my interview after getting in at McGill. My second degree GPA is 3.95, which is what the other schools I applied to looked at.

Yea that is an impressive score, I hear some ppl find the VR to be difficult, how did you find it/prepare?

I'm not sure how helpful I can be on that... My first degree was in an Arts related field, so I'm very used to verbal type arguments and logic. I read the Examkrakers book, and did practice tests. So, yeah, perhaps not too different from what others do....

Archived