Premed 101 Forums

Mccqe P1

I am wondering who actually gets to see our MCCQE1 scores.

Do we have to share these with our residency program director, or is it simply a pass/fail kind of thing?

I'd prefer to just do the minimal studying, get it over with, and move on but I don't want my program director to think im an idiot when he sees my barely acceptable MCCQE1 score.

No one sees it.  There are some programs that will request your score though as stated on CaRMS.

What about if unmatched? I heard not writing the MCCQE is a red flag for next year. Does a good score give you an advantage over an average score?

I wouldn't say it's a red flag, but they might ask why you didn't do it yet.  Anything that shows your academic strengths such as a high score is an advantage.  The caveat is that most CMGs don't have their MCCQE completed yet during the  match. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nope. Zero impact.

Are you absolutely sure about this? There are some fellowships in internal medicine (UBC cardiology and GI for example) that request your MCCQE score. At first I was thinking this was just to make sure you've passed as a requirement to your fellowship...but other "less competitive" subspecialties don't require it. Can anyone weigh in on this?

Are you absolutely sure about this? There are some fellowships in internal medicine (UBC cardiology and GI for example) that request your MCCQE score. At first I was thinking this was just to make sure you've passed as a requirement to your fellowship...but other "less competitive" subspecialties don't require it. Can anyone weigh in on this?

That's interesting. Sounds like they're using it as a culling mechanism. I can't see how that makes any sense. The MCCQE is well known to be a poor predictor of ...well...anything. 

And for a different view...I have participated a post-CaRMS2 meeting where every applicant for a program that is still quite competitive (despite the field being, overall, depressed) gets filleted and dissected to within an inch of his/her life.  MCCQE scores came up exactly zero times.  

I don't know if there's a generalizable and authoritative take-home message to the question, but my own humble opinion is that the MCCQE is a silly test that doesn't influence your future.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting. Can anyone confirm that Canadian fellowship programs ask for it?

Also curious as to whether someone looking to get a competitive fellowship position might rewrite the MCCQE to boost their score, and if so, is it the most recent score that would be used in that case?

I don't think that you're allowed to re-write if you passed.

"The MCC does not limit the number of times a candidate may attempt the MCCQE Part I. However, candidates who have been awarded a pass result on the MCCQE Part I cannot retake the examination in an attempt to obtain a higher score."

^ from the MCC website

Interesting. Can anyone confirm that Canadian fellowship programs ask for it?

Also curious as to whether someone looking to get a competitive fellowship position might rewrite the MCCQE to boost their score, and if so, is it the most recent score that would be used in that case?

There is a space in CaRMS2 to input your QE1 and QE2 scores (um, they might actually be pre-populated...it's been a while now).  What the programs do with that information is up to them.

I find it really hard to imagine a situation where two fellowship candidates are being compared and one's QE score gives her an edge over another.  They're going to be ranking on clinical performance, reference letters, publications, likeability, etc. 

It's your money and you can do with it what you want, but spending a couple of grand trying to improve your QE score would be incredibly low yield, imho.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread as I'm seriously considering applying for a +1 in EM next year, but don't have a great MCCQE Part 1 score and was discouraged to find out it's part of the application. I'm assuming we submit our scores as part of the core carms application, so all the programs we're applying to would see it. Can anyone else comment on how they feel their scores were used in the selection process? Thanks for your above input, The Bunny!

Archived