Premed 101 Forums

Quebec Residency ...... Please Help

RGK

Hello,

Regarding situation 5 on how to establish Quebec residency..... your parent's main residence is in Quebec

I am a Canadian PR......we aren't permanently staying in Canada at the moment...we come and go..... my mum has lived in Alberta for about a year (but she is staying there permanently now)..... my dad for about 4-5 months...... me only 70 days....we didn't go anywhere else just Alberta because we have friends over there

Now my dad is willing to move to Quebec so that I can get Quebec residency so that I can apply to McGill as IP.

Before asking any questions, I know situation 8 can work for me but I specifically want situation 5 to work for personal reasons...... and I am aware that I would be better off staying in Alberta where there are 2 medical schools but as I said I have personal reasons.

Me and my dad are currently outside of Canada and planning to move to Quebec in January 2016 so that I can apply in the 2016-2017 application cycle so basically we will have lived in Quebec about 11 months by the application deadline

So I have some questions please:

1. In order to fulfill situation 5.... do both my parents have to be in Quebec ? Or one is enough ?

2. My dad has received some medical treatment in Alberta and has an Alberta medicare card..... if he moves to Quebec is he entitled to medical care in Quebec ? This is very important as my dad has some chronic illnesses which require medical care...

3. Can my dad get a RAMQ-issued medicare card ?

Please help me .....

Hi RGK,

This is speaking from personal experince and you should definitely verify with the proper officials:

1. Only one of your parents have to be in Quebec.

2. Yes, he should be eligible for Quebec health insurance, though I believe he will have to give up his Alberta health coverage (you're only allowed to be covered by one provincial health insurance plan at any time).

3. Yes.  Once he moves to Quebec and has a Quebec address.

For situation 5, your parent is not required to reside in Quebec for a minimum time before benefiting it, which is nice.  If you are going to be living in Quebec starting in Jan 2016, you may also want to look at situation 6 if you don't plan on being a full time student.  Also, the application deadline for the 2016 admission cycle would probably be in Nov 2015, so if you guys are planning on moving to Quebec in Jan 2016... you might have to wait till the 2017 admissions.

Hi RGK,

This is speaking from personal experince and you should definitely verify with the proper officials:

1. Only one of your parents have to be in Quebec.

2. Yes, he should be eligible for Quebec health insurance, though I believe he will have to give up his Alberta health coverage (you're only allowed to be covered by one provincial health insurance plan at any time).

3. Yes.  Once he moves to Quebec and has a Quebec address.

For situation 5, your parent is not required to reside in Quebec for a minimum time before benefiting it, which is nice.  If you are going to be living in Quebec starting in Jan 2016, you may also want to look at situation 6 if you don't plan on being a full time student.  Also, the application deadline for the 2016 admission cycle would probably be in Nov 2015, so if you guys are planning on moving to Quebec in Jan 2016... you might have to wait till the 2017 admissions.

Yeah I meant the 2017 admissions........ it is okay to give up the Alberta healthcare card....but when will he be able to get his new RAMQ-card ?

Probably immediately after arriving.  I don't remember any minimum residencies before receiving RAMQ coverage, but that is something you should double check by calling RAMQ.  

You can still be covered by Alberta after arriving in Quebec.  If you're worried about lapses in coverage, you can try to co-ordinate things such that the Alberta coverage ends on the same day Quebec coverage begins.

Archived