Premed 101 Forums

Is It Worth Moving To Calgary For Ip?

Hey guys,

I'm a first year UBC Sciences student and was wondering whether moving over to Alberta for IP at Alberta as well would be a good idea? I would be willing to stay for 2 years with summers included, and will probably stay there if I gain admittance into one of the two medical schools there. 

If I do decide to come, I will be transferring into either Psychology or the BHSc. program. (Any other ideas for a good major?

What are your thoughts in terms of moving for IP status? BC is relatively competitive and only has one medical school, so keep that in mind when posting a response. 

Thanks in advance. 

2 for the price of 1, but it all depends on your application, and which your application will resonate with. I would say, that since you're only a first year - I would stay put in BC and decide later.

The competitiveness of the Alberta schools is no different than UBC. Do you have any experience living in Alberta? Connections? It might not be that great of an idea to introduce another variable this early in your academic career by moving. But you know yourself best. 

Edit: UofC has 155 seats (up to 10% OOP I think)  & UofA has 162 seats(up to 15% for OOP) - for a total of 317 seats. . 

UBC has 288 seats( 10% for OOP). So based on the math, it isn't that much of a difference having 2 schools. 

2 for the price of 1, but it all depends on your application, and which your application will resonate with. I would say, that since you're only a first year - I would stay put in BC and decide later.

The competitiveness of the Alberta schools is no different than UBC. Do you have any experience living in Alberta? Connections? It might not be that great of an idea to introduce another variable this early in your academic career by moving. But you know yourself best. 

Edit: UofC has 155 seats (up to 10% OOP I think)  & UofA has 162 seats(up to 15% for OOP) - for a total of 317 seats. . 

UBC has 288 seats( 10% for OOP). So based on the math, it isn't that much of a difference having 2 schools. 

It is possible to be IP for both schools if you have a card card for BC and if you reside in Alberta for two years full time taking University or move there with your family for two years after your 15th birthday

source: http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/applicant-manual-2014-2015-aug-22.pdf

In theory if it works you could be IP for both schools and it would be a definite advantage. However, there's also a small risk of backfiring if current rules change. For now, you only need a care card to be in province for BC, but this wasn't so a few years ago. The criteria can change again so there could be a small chance in the future that you could lose your BC IP.

Like ubc said its which school resonates with you. Alberta school's are very EC heavy. Look at your app and see what works with you. Remember it is hard to be in a foreign province without family, so think about the non-academic hardships.

Mobitz is very right that rules change and are very dynamic. So lets say you study for three years but the requirement changes to something like the East coast where they require three years of residency without school. It's hypothetical but consider that these things can change on you.

Like ubc said its which school resonates with you. Alberta school's are very EC heavy. Look at your app and see what works with you. Remember it is hard to be in a foreign province without family, so think about the non-academic hardships.

Mobitz is very right that rules change and are very dynamic. So lets say you study for three years but the requirement changes to something like the East coast where they require three years of residency without school. It's hypothetical but consider that these things can change on you.

To be fair UBC is also EC heavy haha. 

But yeah, it's all a tough game!

I wouldn't necessarily say UofA is EC heavy. Calgary definitely is, but in my mind (and my experiences as an applicant) UofA is one of the more stats-oriented schools in Canada.

Yeah absolutely true about what was said about UofA and UBC. Calgary reduced the number of IP apps. to interview too, so keep that in mind. With UBC reducing its AQ section or reweighting, do you guys think this is a trend amongst schools now? Putting more weight on EC's and possibly MCAT since undergrad varies so much and life happens to many students not allowing them to hit their full potential?

Yeah absolutely true about what was said about UofA and UBC. Calgary reduced the number of IP apps. to interview too, so keep that in mind. With UBC reducing its AQ section or reweighting, do you guys think this is a trend amongst schools now? Putting more weight on EC's and possibly MCAT since undergrad varies so much and life happens to many students not allowing them to hit their full potential?

Considering that the U of A (imo the most stats based school) has made GPA/MCAT worth less this year, yes I do. Interview seems to be the new king.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading on here that the average EC score for acceptance at UofA is nowhere near the maximum possible score (as in like 10/30 is the average score). The theory went that UofA doesn't really put an emphasis on EC's, but it's possible to really make up for a low GPA/MCAT with exceptional EC's, so they deliberately leave a lot of ceiling room for exceptional EC's to show through. It's possible that the new weighting just means that this effect is more pronounced now. I don't know if this is accurate really, but it's something to think about. Still, UofA is definitely an "academic school" in my mind.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading on here that the average EC score for acceptance at UofA is nowhere near the maximum possible score (as in like 10/30 is the average score). The theory went that UofA doesn't really put an emphasis on EC's, but it's possible to really make up for a low GPA/MCAT with exceptional EC's, so they deliberately leave a lot of ceiling room for exceptional EC's to show through. It's possible that the new weighting just means that this effect is more pronounced now. I don't know if this is accurate really, but it's something to think about. Still, UofA is definitely an "academic school" in my mind.

Archived