Premed 101 Forums

***** Carms 2015 Match Results *****

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're teasing us all with these bits of information :D  I wonder when they'll release the list of unfilled spots.

Also I just want to sit here and stare at my match result.  For a long time.  I cannot believe it's real!

Congrats to all of my 2015 colleagues :D  Can't wait for us all to start the next stage of our careers!

You're teasing us all with these bits of information :D  I wonder when they'll release the list of unfilled spots.

Also I just want to sit here and stare at my match result.  For a long time.  I cannot believe it's real!

Congrats to all of my 2015 colleagues :D  Can't wait for us all to start the next stage of our careers!

today, although people have it already today as well in the administration of things.

Looks like last year was a bit more competitive than this year for psychiatry - I believe Ontario was completely matched after first round, but there are still a few spots in Western, Queens and NOSM this year. 

Just by glancing, FM looks a bit more competitive. Queens, Toronto, and NOSM completely filled and McMaster only has two spots in rural left over.  Ottawa had surprisingly 8 spots left over, and there a handful in some other cities too. Most of the other left over sites look rural or French. I wonder how many of the remaining urban spots were IMG spots left unranked in the hopes of grabbing a few second rounders? 

Radiology looks like its heading back to normal - English Canada completely filled up. 

Internal Medicine filled up pretty nicely too. Pediatrics has a few open spots, but I wonder if thats just due to poor ranking on the parts of the school. 

I don't have extensive experience with this but does it appear that family medicine is becoming drastically more competitive, based on the limited number of unfilled seats after the first iteration? I was under the impression primary care typically goes relatively unfilled.

I don't have extensive experience with this but does it appear that family medicine is becoming drastically more competitive, based on the limited number of unfilled seats after the first iteration? I was under the impression primary care typically goes relatively unfilled.

Tough to say based solely on the number of unfilled spots - there are a lot of reasons a particular program or specialty has unfilled spots in the first iteration, competitiveness being only one element.

Last year in family med, there were virtually no spots left in the major cities, so the fact that there's still a number of positions in places like Calgary, London, and Ottawa (seriously, what happened in Ottawa?) means that this year was probably no more competitive for family than last year. Still, hard to tell without the full set of CaRMS match data. Family takes a number of students who wanted another specialty more than family, so it often fills up pretty well despite being relatively uncompetitive. It does seem to be increasing in competitiveness, but too soon to tell where it stood this year.

Please see below for a list of the unfilled spots still available after the first iteration:

http://www.carms.ca/en/news/unfilled-positions-from-the-first-iteration-of-the-r-1-match/

Interesting trends in the matches this year. Glad to see the interest in psych continues, though it appears to be less sought after this match compared to last

Family med in large attractive cities like urban Vancouver and Toronto is very competitive. I would say it's as competitive, if not more, than some of the ROADS.

Yup. The St. Paul's program in Vancouver is supposed to be one of the most competitive programs in all of CaRMS (according to my school's student affairs director).

Ranked it #1, ended up at one of the other Vancouver area FM sites - can't say I'm upset but would have loved to match to St. Paul's!

I know a lot of people (including me) who didn't get interviews at Ottawa for family med, and it seems like it was because we didn't do electives there (that's just conjecture but I can't see any reason why we all wouldn't have gotten interviews). Maybe they were too selective this year?

I know a lot of people (including me) who didn't get interviews at Ottawa for family med, and it seems like it was because we didn't do electives there (that's just conjecture but I can't see any reason why we all wouldn't have gotten interviews). Maybe they were too selective this year?

Being too selective was likely the issue at Memorial U Family Med program last year, I heard they didn't rank near enough. They had something like 12 unmatched spots.

This year they added specific streams and 100% match. 

Hard to say, except that now people know ahead of time what are they'll be doing most of their training. 

Dal filled every FM spot too. I can't remember that happening at all in the past few years. 

One way or another, this will mean a lot fewer IMGs out this way. 

Before at Memorial Family Med you had to do approx. 15 months of the 2 years in several different rural placemnets. It was very difficult logistically if you had a relationship or a young family. Streaming allows people to essentially start practicing where they would like to end up as a licensed GP.

2 people went unmatched this year at Queen's. Fr what I have heard we've has a good match day. 2 plastics, 3 ophthalmology (one of which matched to Stanford), a couple match to urology and dermatology in Edmonton, 3 ENT, a few anasthesiology. Probably missing some as well :P

Archived