Premed 101 Forums

Is It Easy To Keep A High Gpa In Grad School? Uofcalgary Specifically

bruhh

I am planning to move to Calgary for masters in psychology (and gaining residency status simultaneously). I have a 3.9 GPA and do not want to jeapordize that by going to a tough program. Does anyone have an idea of whether grad school is tougher GPA-wise when compared to undergrad?

I'm currently in a psyc undergrad and it is not a notoriously tough program so I don't know whether I could handle a transition to a much harder program. If I had done engineering or biomed at somewhere like UofT I would be more confident, but that isn't the case.

Any help is appreciated :)

In Calgary's case, they can make a big difference. They will drop one of your undergrad years in place of your grad school courses... from what I understand.

Exactly. My main goal will be alberta schools which still take into account Grad GPA.

At UofC, grad GPA is only counted in the overall GPA calculation once your grad degree is completed. So you'd have ~2 more years without having your MSc grades count for anything.

Also, you won't gain AB residency status until 24 months after moving here.

• 2 months later...

If its a thesis based masters program, it is pretty easy. Apparently course based masters programs are a lot tougher.

This is completely correct. If you are doing a thesis-based degree, any courses you do take are going to give you an A or A+ almost without question. Probably a course-based masters is totally different though.

This is completely correct. If you are doing a thesis-based degree, any courses you do take are going to give you an A or A+ almost without question. Probably a course-based masters is totally different though.

Yeah, it's really your thesis that is the beef of the degree.

I completed a course based MSc. it was very intense and difficult to keep up with. However, I finished with about a 90% average (a lot better than my undergrad which was 81%) because I'm a lot better at studying now and more mature than I was in undergrad. So, if you're willing to work hard it shouldn't be a problem. It also helped out a lot with building extra-curriculars and establishing good references etc. 

Archived