Premed 101 Forums

How Bad Is It If I Don't Finish My First Undergrad Year With A 3.8 Gpa?

Title. I know that med school is competitive so I want to be as prepared as I can for when I apply. I know certain universities like Western take your best two years and such but I don't want to just apply there as I would like to apply to US schools so I would like to have it as high as I can.

Unfortunately, I may not have a 3.8 GPA as I go to York University and I would need straight A's in all my courses which is not possible since I just got a B in general chemistry last semester. So obviously to pull my mark up, I would need 1-2 A+s but math this semester (MATH 1014) isn't the easiest course and I may not even get an A in that. 

I don't need speeches about how you can do well in any course if you just apply yourself better. I know I messed up, I am just here to confirm/see what the consequences are from your guys's infinite wisdom :)

queens and western look at 2 years, ottawa looks at 3, toronto drops a certain number of lowest grades if you keep a full courseload...your doors are still open. A solid MCAT score and ECs will keep US doors open as well. I wouldn't worry if I were you, but I would take the time to think about why my grades aren't as high as I wish they would be. :)

Good luck!

you'll be fine. I had a 3.3 (yep...) in my first year. It sucks-I had to work like crazy and still feel like the 'stupid kid' no matter how many A+s I get. But I've had a 3.95+ in every year since and I'll be (hopefully) graduating with a 3.8cGPA, 3.97ish for the last 2 years. 

But if I don't get in (1 interview) this year, then I'll reapply next year (once they can use my 4th year grades) and that first year (yep it was calc that got me to...) will be history. Or close enough.

So long story short, work your butt off next year and you're fine. The MCAT can help too.

York's GPA system can work in your favour if all you get is low 80's which will translate into a 3.8 GPA. Only downside is that a high 80s would also be a 3.8. Moving forward, I would suggest a few options- aim for no grades below an A. By the midterm if it looks like you will have a lower grade, drop the course (before the deadline for when a grade would show up on your transcript) and secondly, utilize your grade appraisal. I did it a few times to have a few subjective assignments regraded and always had a grade bump, usually from a B+ to an A.

3.8 GPA for first year is incredible and I commend you for that. You can definitely get into med school if you strategize and choose your courses and timetables wisely. Go to ratemyprof to read up on the prof/ class, find old syllabuses online, then once you are enrolled in the course, work your ass off.

Archived