Premed 101 Forums

Unmatched, Feeling Really Shitty

USMG, apply to 12 family programs, 6 interviews, 0 match

hurts. Thought my application was solid (good LORs from Canadian MDs, no red flags academically) . Thought interviews went well. 

Dont really know what to do now. TAlked to my advisory deans at my school in the US and they didnt really offer much help.

Dont know what to do now....

hurts. Thought my application was solid (good LORs from Canadian MDs, no red flags academically) . Thought interviews went well. 

Dont really know what to do now. TAlked to my advisory deans at my school in the US and they didnt really offer much help.

You still have the 2nd round and NRMP? 

Just focus on what you can do for the next round.  As well, look into what you can do locally at your school regarding additional electives.

sorry to hear this but when i was on the interview trail I heard this very very often - everyone is applying to family med - i heard like the entire Alberta class applied to family med. 

but at least you have NRMP a great backup - but you will have to decide NRMP or 2nd iteration Carms 

Odds are in your favor though quick peak at unmatched USMG last year in 2nd interation (2 of them matched out of the 3 that applied ) 

did you do any electives in Canada?

I did. 1 family and 1 psych. I did not apply to NMRP because I was told by multiple sources that I had a great application and I would match somewhere

yeah carms is an unpredictalbe beast - never never leave yourself vulnerable. I'm sure you would have matched somewhere with NRMP just because of the vast number of spots available

I would imagine debt is not that great either. 

For now plan for 2nd iteration and now you are a CMG (vs. IMG)

I did. 1 family and 1 psych. I did not apply to NMRP because I was told by multiple sources that I had a great application and I would match somewhere

Jesus christ why would you not apply to NRMP?! Hindsight is 20/20 but dang. 

Really hope 2nd round works out for you, but definitely go talk to your school and see what can be done in case of a transition year and get your app ready for the NRMP match for next year.

Sorry to hear what happened. There are still a few psych and FM positions and hopefully you get one of them! Also if you have the faintest interest and experience in pathology (even say like 1 week elective or something), apply and there's a reasonable chance you may get a path spot.

Archived