Premed 101 Forums

Most Lucrative M.sc Degree?

Neurd

I am kind of at the cross road with where the heck I should aim my course selections for graduate studies. 

I am doing a biology degree with a minor in neuro at the moment.

I heard molecular biology has a lot of flexibility and a good salary. 

Does anybody have insight on good science fields to get into?

If you're talking about a Masters, you'd likely be looking at the health-professions Masters (physiotherapy, occupational therapy, genetic counselling, psychology). If you're talking about get a Masters in a sci-research related field, I'd say something like pharmacology/drug development, genetic counselling or psych, but I'm not 100% sure about this arena (not my background).

From what I understand, anything related to technology is doing fairly well, if not great. I'm assuming that you're interested in life sciences related topics, so maybe look into medical physics, bioinformatics, biotechnology, etc.  

Also maybe look into fields that we don't know much about and/or are relatively new and/or have a lot of current advances in cutting edge research. This is why I chose to study neuroscience. It's been around for a while, so it's not like it's new, however, we don't know a lot about the brain and nervous system, so there should almost always be potential for employment; especially with the current push to understand neuropsychological illness. But this is just my opinion and it's based purely on speculation, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Masters of Health Sciences, currently finishing up mine and I had like three job offers last year. Although the jobs were more medical sales, the salary was solid (70-80k + bonus and company car, travel costs) and if that fits your personality then you're golden!

Check out Masters of Health Sciences, currently finishing up mine and I had like three job offers last year. Although the jobs were more medical sales, the salary was solid (70-80k + bonus and company car, travel costs) and if that fits your personality then you're golden!

Was it a thesis based program?

Someone on the forums was telling me that one could get into medical sales without a graduate degree, but of course, it will require a specific personality.

Was it a thesis based program?

Someone on the forums was telling me that one could get into medical sales without a graduate degree, but of course, it will require a specific personality.

Yes mine is a thesis based program and I believe most MHSc programs across Canada would have a thesis component (at least the ones I had looked at did).

They were probably right. I do know that they generally prefer someone who has a graduate degree but it varies depending on the company. One company who approached me (Johnson & Johnson) actually said they wanted someone with research experience because the job was selling surgical equipment.

Archived