Premed 101 Forums

Graduate Student Looking For Advice Please

Hi there,

I am a graduate student in Alberta that applied to the UofC this year. I was not offered an interview but I was looking through my pre-MRI scores, and I have a little room for improvement. My main concern is keeping my GPA competitive (and needing to write the new 2015 MCAT, of course) as the other portions of my application scored very well. As a graduate student, can I take courses to improve and count towards my GPA?

Any help is appreciated! Please and thank you :)

Not as easily as undergrads, I'm afraid. Once you complete your graduate degree, your courses will count toward your GPA, but not until then.

Applicants who have received a graduate degree will have their overall GPA from their graduate program used as equivalent to one year of undergraduate GPA for the purposes of this calculation.   In the event that an applicant has multiple years with graded courses within their graduate program, the graduate degree GPA will be calculated using the weights of the individual courses.

It's not entirely clear to me what "equivalent to one year of undergraduate GPA" means -- it sounds like it means that your grad school GPA would be artificially weighted by 24 credits, or 30 credits, or whatever is normal for your undergrad.

However, being in a grad program and getting good grades could still improve your subjective scores before you get the degree!

According to the admission guidelines this year, here.

If you have your graduate degree completed by the time you submit your application. Your graduate degree GPA will count as 1 year worth of GPA for the overall calculation.

i.e. Say you have 4.0 grad GPA and a 3.7 undergrad GPA over 3 years (worst year dropped) you will get (4.0*1 +3.7*3)/4 = ~3.78 overall GPA.

That being said, if your grad degree is still ongoing when you applied.. then the grade you obtained won't help.

EDIT: Oh lol nick... you're too fast for me.

perhaps you could take some undergraduate online/distance courses through a uni while doing your grad degree.  since those would not be part of your grad degree then I would imagine they would count as undergrad...double check with admissions though.  I've taken some through UBC and Athabasca and both were completely doable while working fulltime.  You just need to be organized :)

unless your MCAT and GPA are both very low you should instead focus on your EC's. Calgary heavily emphasizes the top10 which is 60% of the pre-interview formula. 10% is subjective. The only remaining 30% are mcat (10%), and GPA (20%).

You don't have much room to improve your GPA unfortuantely. 

Your score on the new MCAT is only relevant with respect to the CARS seciton since UofC only looks at that part. 

Archived