Premed 101 Forums

Success Story: How To Match After Being Unmatched In Speciality

Results are out. For a few people it has be a huge deception. Being unmatched is really hard on the self-esteem. I know, it happened to me last year. I applied to ortho and as though I felt confident, the results came in with great deception. I am here to tell you this is not the end of the world. You can still work toward your dream and match the next year. I just learned I matched to University of Manitoba for orthopedic surgery after doing a year of master.

I also have a friend who went unmatched last year in cardiac surgery, did the same as me and matched to McGill this year.

It's possible.

Here is what to do:

1. Talk to the right people. I'm sure the are people in your school that can help you with the rest of the process.

2. Start EARLY trying to find a master. Go to each residency program's website, find the research director for that speciality and email him. They will tell you the right master program to do research in their institution.

3. Revisit your CV and personal letter, try to make it more attractive. Apply throught second round for unmatched spots.

4. If still unmatched, continue with your master. It's way easier to drop an embryonary project than to find one at the last minute.

5. Work hard. REALLY HARD. Show them that you are the best master student they ever had.

6. Hang out with the staff and residents in that program. Show you are interested. Do some shadowing in that institution and in some other institutions you are interested in. Get some new reference letters from influencial people.

7. Reaply throught carms.

8. Rock the interviews has you've had so much practice the last time.

9. Match.

10. Open a bottle of wine.

11. Try to finish your thesis before July 1st....

PS: I'm just done with step 10...

Do the programs stigmatize the unmatched?

In my experience in ortho, they don't.

Just be honest about it in the interviews next year so it doesn't look like you are trying to hide it.

This year I've been invited to many places I was not invited the year before because of my research experience. I also upgraded my personal letter, CV and got some other references, so this might be a counfounder thought.

I've had a PD tell me they did not care if you did not match last year as they already had some ex-unmatched in their program and they were some of the best residents they ever had.

Just answer the thread if you have any questions about my path and I will be happy to answer.

Are there any people who had the same kind of experience?

Disclaimer: I know I've made a really similar post on another thread. I just want to make it as a standalone thread so it is easier to find for people who need it.

Congrats on matching this year.

Caveat to those stories are that these aren't exactly the most popular specialties anymore, having leftovers consistently in Second Iteration. I doubt an extra year of doing anything really helps in most specialties who usually fill right up, except for ophtho who tend to look favourably on that one year of research (from what I heard).

How you didn't match last year when 7 spots (and not all in undesirable locations at that) went to second iteration is beyond me. Perhaps your application was not very strong last year and needed improving. Perhaps there is more to your story. Perhaps the moral of the story is to make sure your application and skills are good on the first go, and apply broadly.

Unfortunately, going unmatched does make you appear weaker than the others. Having fresh applicants come in and show their stuff makes it all that much harder. 

Toutes mes félicitations! Je suis content pour toi!

p.s. thesis requires multiple corrections. good luck  ;)

Haha I know, but at least I want to get the first version done before starting residency. Doing all the corrections during year one and two of residency, while also trying to publish my results, will be really hard work, but I'm ready to do what it takes. I've worked so hard on this master and I want the diploma.

How you didn't match last year when 7 spots (and not all in undesirable locations at that) went to second iteration is beyond me. Perhaps your application was not very strong last year and needed improving. Perhaps there is more to your story. Perhaps the moral of the story is to make sure your application and skills are good on the first go, and apply broadly.

Yes there is more to the story.

Last year I only applied to Quebec and Ontario, but received no interview invitations in Ontario. This year I've had 3 in Ontario.

None of the unmatched spots were places where I got interviews.

Weaknesses of my application includes coming from a school where there are grades (it's not pass/fail), so having a few B- and a C in obgyn is less appealing than another application with only "PASS" everywhere.

I had no research experience.

Sherbrooke only allows 8 weeks of elective in the same speciality, so I had much less ortho elective than most applicants.

I applied through second iteration, but with all the IMGs and unmatched, there were more than 100 applicants for 7 spots, so I got no luck there either.

I repeat, I've had a PD tell me they did not care if you were not matched the year before. Also, I believe that continuing in the research path for that speciality is the best way to show your interest and dedication, which is something PDs look for in surgery.

I don't have this year's stats, but I know one other ortho applicant who got lucky this year the same way I did, and my cardiac surgery friend (who did apply to all of Canada last year).

Of course, I know not all programs are the same or give the same consideration to that path. But if you are really motivated and only want to do this speciality, I don't know of any better way. My post is intended to share my experiences and tips on how to do it if you want.

Let's face it, we'll be making a shitload of money in a few years. Taking a year or two more to finish your training is not the end of the world.

It's better to try and fail than to give up and regret it later.

Archived