Premed 101 Forums

Hi, I'm a first year student who took management in first semester, realized it wasn't for me and switched to a Biochemistry, Psychology double major. Anyways, my first year course load is all screwed up because i finished with 2 courses in Fall and I'll have 5 this Winter. But I'm still behind, my question is, is it a big deal if I take certain prerequisites this Summer 2015 term? I planned all my four years out so I have all the pre-reqs for Dentistry, Nursing, Pharmacy, Medicine, and I can always apply to Law School. But because these are first year courses and are therefore pre-reqs of pretty much everything at UTSC, and graduate school, I'm wondering if it's okay to take courses in the Summer. 

For example, at UTSC, I'm taking MATA36, which is a pre-req for pharmacy school. Will it count if I take it during the summer? Sorry, I'm kinda new to this and my experience in highschool was that nobody really cared if you took a course in the summer, or as I was told "it's frowned upon". So will taking this course and a couple others (CHMA11, BIOA01, and maybe STAB22) hurt my transcript when graduate schools look at my transcript and see that these were taken in the Summer?

Thanks. 

Yes, you can take prereqs in summer. The marks WILL count for Mac, and UBC.

Some US schools prefer that prereqs are done during the academic year. 

You should still check with each school as requirements may or may not change every year.

Generally, taking prereqs in the summer are ok. UofT and Calgary may frown upon it as they are holistic/subjective in some parts of their application but even those two schools won't be heavily swayed by prereqs being done in the summer.

Having a higher GPA is far more important - focus on that. 

Yes, you can take prereqs in summer. The marks WILL count for Mac, and UBC.

Some US schools prefer that prereqs are done during the academic year. 

You should still check with each school as requirements may or may not change every year.

Generally, taking prereqs in the summer are ok. UofT and Calgary may frown upon it as they are holistic/subjective in some parts of their application but even those two schools won't be heavily swayed by prereqs being done in the summer.

Having a higher GPA is far more important - focus on that. 

See, I've been looking at University's websites but they never get specific about whether to take courses in the summer or not and stuff like that. All I know is that everybody wants you to have a full course load. I do know you are allowed to write a letter explaining why you don't have full course load so perhaps I could explain I had to take summer courses because I was first a management student?? 

Archived