Premed 101 Forums

Post-Interview Stress And Analysis!

Don't worry :) I had a bunch of screwed up stations (multiple per interview) this year and I don't think I have a shot at all now. You're lucky it was only one that you're doubting yourself on. Most times, I feel like we cannot judge ourselves in this. Maybe you said what the interviewer wanted to hear and if not, at least you answered the way you would in this situation so it showed your natural side. I'm dying right now from my interviews knowing that I messed up a lot but I did my best at the time under the pressure, tried to be confident and charismatic, and answered with a response that came to me at the time. 

Don't stress too much! These things happen and you cannot really say or do much until you find out. Hang in there, PM me if you'd like, and just enjoy these few months! Whatever happened, happened. Just remember that many people, like me, screwed up much worse than you did and you don't even know where you stand in the eyes of the interviewers or admissions committees. Wait and then decide how to improve for next year...or how you'll celebrate for getting in ;) 

WOOOO! premed101 posting virginity gone!

Don't worry :) I had a bunch of screwed up stations (multiple per interview) this year and I don't think I have a shot at all now. You're lucky it was only one that you're doubting yourself on. Most times, I feel like we cannot judge ourselves in this. Maybe you said what the interviewer wanted to hear and if not, at least you answered the way you would in this situation so it showed your natural side. I'm dying right now from my interviews knowing that I messed up a lot but I did my best at the time under the pressure, tried to be confident and charismatic, and answered with a response that came to me at the time. 

Don't stress too much! These things happen and you cannot really say or do much until you find out. Hang in there, PM me if you'd like, and just enjoy these few months! Whatever happened, happened. Just remember that many people, like me, screwed up much worse than you did and you don't even know where you stand in the eyes of the interviewers or admissions committees. Wait and then decide how to improve for next year...or how you'll celebrate for getting in ;)

WOOOO! premed101 posting virginity gone!

Thanks for your reply! You'd think that the stress would end after the interview is done, but it's actually more stressful now and I even miss the time when I was just prepping for my interviews. I'm sorry to hear that you think you messed up on your MMIs. The MMI is very challenging in my opinion, and I think most people do feel like they didn't do so well on at least one station. I guess the reason why I'm so anxious this year is because it is my second time applying and I've already done my undergrad, so I really really want to get in this year and not have to go through this again. I also have multiple interviews this year, so the pressure is really on to get in SOMEWHERE. This whole process is such a huge emotional roller coaster and already I am dreading the prospect of dealing with no post-interview acceptances. 

I understand your anxiety but you're lucky you have multiple interviews so your chances increase a bit. It might be might to deal with having graduated already and wanting to not "waste more time" but just remember you're doing the best you can, surely you have a great chance from receiving interviews, and you only have the concern with one station. If medicine isn't meant for you, or I, or anyone else, then what else can we do? Only so long for us to spend years and years applying when life is continuing to fly by without us. 

Generic tips but make sure you have a backup plan, commit to applying a few times before you (temporarily) move on, then try again later. But don't put everything else on hold if you don't have to. Medicine is too competitive and always ends up being such a gamble so do your best, be happy with your efforts, have no regrets, and continue to live life whether it works out now, later, or never :) 

Relax. Your worry is almost assuredly unfounded, and from what you describe it doesn't even sound that bad. A little less than optimal maybe, but in no way does anything you describe sound like you bombed the interview. Many people probably don't even consider the things that you're worried you omitted in your answer. And so what if one station out of 8-10 went subpar - this is hardly grounds to freak out. I doubt anyone makes it through the entire interview process without slipping up at least once. In any case, it's over now and it's out of your hands, so worrying isn't going to help accomplish anything.

Yes I like family_med's advice a lot. This is my fifth time applying and year after year I seem to do better (e.x. more interview invites) but I still haven't gotten in. Despite that though, I'm happy with the alternate career I've built so far, and saved up quite a bit. Whether it will be for a down payment on a home or for medschool tuition remains to be seen but definitely don't stop the rest of your life for this!

No need to worry about your answer saying cultural norms are relevant.

Parents are allowed to "spank" their children under limited circumstances in Canada, and cultural or religious beliefs is one reason why:

https://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-csc/en/item/2115/index.do

Not that you are expected to know content for the interview. But if you raise an argument consistent with what the supreme court thinks, that's good I think. It shows that you are looking at the entire picture, and that you are not quick to impose your beliefs on others, and that this is something that you call to mind independently.  :)

Yes I like family_med's advice a lot. This is my fifth time applying and year after year I seem to do better (e.x. more interview invites) but I still haven't gotten in. Despite that though, I'm happy with the alternate career I've built so far, and saved up quite a bit. Whether it will be for a down payment on a home or for medschool tuition remains to be seen but definitely don't stop the rest of your life for this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAryFIuRxmQ

Archived