Premed 101 Forums

Post Interview Thoughts

I was hoping they would have had an admissions video.

I really disliked the writing station.  It wasn't the prompt that was the issue, it was the fact that I'm  a pretty slow handwriter and so I felt like I didn't get a whole lot of content written on the page.

I don't remember much excepting the feeling that everything rushed by so quickly and the complete exhaustion that hit as soon as I walked out of the final station.

The two things that struck out at me was that there was one guy who was playing bad cop with me, cutting me off and saying that I wasn't answering his questions in the middle of explaining my thoughts on the issue (he wanted yes/no answers on ethically grey areas). I thought he was giving off signs that he wasn't bored or pissed off at my answers but was having fun pushing me, so I thankfully got through his interrogation without much of a hitch.

The second one was a station where I had to debate on one side of a topic and the guy ended up just nodding to whatever I was saying and agreed with all my statements at the end- I expected him to give me a verbal throwdown, which never happened and I ended up waiting for the eight minutes to be up in silence. I still don't know if I was supposed to answer both sides of the situation because the question clearly said to debate on the side of only one :/

Overall: enjoyable, fun, and strangely relaxing.

I don't know, but waiting for the next two to three months for the results to come out is the hardest and most nervewracking part of applying to a medical school imo 0_o

I don't remember much excepting the feeling that everything rushed by so quickly and the complete exhaustion that hit as soon as I walked out of the final station.

The two things that struck out at me was that there was one guy who was playing bad cop with me, cutting me off and saying that I wasn't answering his questions in the middle of explaining my thoughts on the issue (he wanted yes/no answers on ethically grey areas). I thought he was giving off signs that he wasn't bored or pissed off at my answers but was having fun pushing me, so I thankfully got through his interrogation without much of a hitch.

The second one was a station where I had to debate on one side of a topic and the guy ended up just nodding to whatever I was saying and agreed with all my statements at the end- I expected him to give me a verbal throwdown, which never happened and I ended up waiting for the eight minutes to be up in silence. I still don't know if I was supposed to answer both sides of the situation because the question clearly said to debate on the side of only one :/

Overall: enjoyable, fun, and strangely relaxing.

I don't know, but waiting for the next two to three months for the results to come out is the hardest and most nervewracking part of applying to a medical school imo 0_o

This reminded me of one point where we were maybe 5 mins into the conversation and I started my next sentence with "like you mentioned earlier..."  The interviewer immediately interrupts me and says "I didn't say that".  I hadn't even mentioned their prior comment that I was referring to!  It was a WTF moment.

I found one of the debate stations to be one sided as I essentially did all of the talking. I am unsure what to make out of that. My other debate station was cut short because I suggested an alternative that satisfied both parties. Overall I thought the interview was decent. Anything can happen, so who knows.

This was definitely an MMI where you had to go straight to your points or your interviewers were going to go ballistic on you.

Depending on what date/time you did your MMI, there was a good chance that all of your prompts were really long and specific (therefore, you essentially could not prepare for these prompts in the way that you would normally do it when you practice at home). Hearing back from a friend who took the MMI a year ago, the UofM MMI completely 180'd their MMI style questions from more personal/experience to logic/ethics/critical thinking! I guess the admins wanted to see if applicants could adapt to the new style

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I heard an upper year student at the interview say that something like 3/4 of the offers get sent out on May 13th. It might be completely wrong and I can't verify it so I wouldn't worry too much about it. But logically it makes sense that they would have to send out the majority on that day since the waitlist has to get going.

Right after the interview I thought I did okay but for the past month or so all I could think about was what I did wrong during the interview. I'm really looking forward to the end of this long wait one way or the other. 

My opinion changes daily on how I did. I feel as if that is normal. Between all the factors (GPA, MCAT, MMI, variability between interviewers, the statistical analysis that goes a long with it) there is no way to know for sure how you rank. I felt great after the interview, but really who knows other than the admissions committee. 

Also any one have an idea as to how many early admission offers are sent out on May 13th?

Looking at the Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted topic, it seems that 2013's applicants got their mail after 9 am and 2014 applicants got them after 12 pm. If anyone knows the specific time, I'd think that I and a few people browsing the U of M section of the forum who aren't able to fall asleep from the anticipation would like to know  :P

Archived