Premed 101 Forums

Standoffish/"rude" Interviewers At Mmis

Hi all, has anyone experienced having an MMI interviewer who actually just won't make eye contact with you? This has happened to me a few times now, and I can't tell if it is on purpose or if the interviewer is tired/doesn't like me off the bat/uninterested. It happens right away after the initial handshake. Is this a game, to see how you will react? 

Would appreciate a quick response as I have my last MMI in a few days  :) 

Apart of the game, just act normal and carry on. It happens in real life too - not everyone is your friend or wants to listen to what you have to say.

If they are "mean to you" they are mean to everyone.

If they really really seem to like you probably they are that way as well with everyone.

You probably like the latter more but the end result is the same :)

This also happened to me during my interview at two stations. Handshake and then very cold (one interviewer seemed blatantly judgmental--smirking and frowning more than once). It actually threw me off quite a bit and I'm sure it was noticeable. In a situation that isn't, well.... this, I would absolutely address the behaviour with the person to see what was going on. I didn't feel I was able to deal directly with the behaviour due to time constraints and due to the rules of the interview station (no small talk). I guess I should be prepared for this next time--if there is a next time.

I don't have an mmi, but I have practiced on one occasion a few weeks ago with an individual who actually does MMI's for one of the medical schools in Ontario. This individual was very very non responsive and expressionless during the practice interview, not even a smile when you smile at them! But afterwards when they discussed my answers with them they said they were great and loved them. So I think judging their behaviour while you are answering is not necessarily indicative of your actual performance for the most part, or what they think of your response. Of course if you say something totally offside then they may look at you weird, but I do agree they are trained to be unresponsive for the most part. 

Interesting Damha - I think it goes to show that having "nice" interviewers doesn't mean much, and "mean" interviewers doesn't mean much. At the end of the day they are both criticizing you! 

Probably shouldn't feel as good about my last interview then...I thought it wen't really well because they were so nice to me but I should probably re-think that judgement lol. 

So it seems like MMI interviewers are assigned a certain persona to play during the interview.

Then, if you're able to somehow break that character (make them laugh, etc.) that'd be a good sign?

Or perhaps they've been also instructed to do those things periodically...

LOL instructed to laugh periodically

that sounds diabolical

I think we may be overthinking it :P

I'm totally okay if the interviewer remains poker face, that's a big part of the interview process. But if they're downright rude then I would probably directly say something about it...no one deserves rudeness especially when interviewing at a reputable school.

I'm totally okay if the interviewer remains poker face, that's a big part of the interview process. But if they're downright rude then I would probably directly say something about it...no one deserves rudeness especially when interviewing at a reputable school.

*cough* French schools *cough*

Would it be not appropriate to clarify by saying something like "did I say something to offend?" If they reply with 'no, please continue' just ignore the non-verbals.

Do not do this. Comes off as antagonistic. You are debating with yourself, not the assessor. Don't say anything that could be at all construed at offensive in the first place.

Do not do this. Comes off as antagonistic. You are debating with yourself, not the assessor. Don't say anything that could be at all construed at offensive in the first place.

Noted, thanks! Just feels so odd because as a healthcare professional, you would want to react to non-verbals to clarify the situation.

Do not worry. Don't be thrown off by the interviewers. People are people, and some are nice, some aren't.

Smile, speak your mind, be polite, answer questions, maintain eye contact, use body language (lean forward, use your arms/hands, facial expressions). Don't even worry about what they're thinking.

you can almost imagine the person is not there and you're just staring at a wall or a volleyball with a face painted on.

Do not worry. Don't be thrown off by the interviewers. People are people, and some are nice, some aren't.

Smile, speak your mind, be polite, answer questions, maintain eye contact, use body language (lean forward, use your arms/hands, facial expressions). Don't even worry about what they're thinking.

you can almost imagine the person is not there and you're just staring at a wall or a volleyball with a face painted on.

Cast Away w/ Tom Hanks reference?

Archived