Premed 101 Forums

Chance Of Acceptance To Us Med School.

Hi guys, just wanted to get some insight on my chances to a US med school.

1st year: 3.68

2nd year: 3.8

3rd year: 4.0

4th year: 4.0 

Looking at doing a 5th year to complete pre-reqs for US Med schools (English, physics, etc.) I'm expecting another 4.0 year, if not close to it. I believe my science GPA to be above 3.8+.

Will be writing the new MCAT this summer, so it's difficult to gauge the cut-offs for that. In any case, If I'm able to theoretically achieve an 80th percentile score (equivalent to a 31-32 MCAT presently), what would my chances be? I'm not currently looking at DO schools because I believe my GPA is strong enough (cGPA = 3.87). I'm also aware that my stats may be competitive for Canadian schools depending on the MCAT; however, I'd like to broaden my chances as much as possible. 

ECs: Average... doctor shadowing, research for 3 years, independent study, possible 1st author publication, Co-founder of a club, tutoring, athletics, LOTS of volunteer hours at a hospital and now currently working at a hospital. Will have a LOR from a physician. 

Thank you for your feedback and have a great week-end. 

Hi guys, just wanted to get some insight on my chances to a US med school.

1st year: 3.68

2nd year: 3.8

3rd year: 4.0

4th year: 4.0 

Looking at doing a 5th year to complete pre-reqs for US Med schools (English, physics, etc.) I'm expecting another 4.0 year, if not close to it. I believe my science GPA to be above 3.8+.

Will be writing the new MCAT this summer, so it's difficult to gauge the cut-offs for that. In any case, If I'm able to theoretically achieve an 80th percentile score (equivalent to a 31-32 MCAT presently), what would my chances be? I'm not currently looking at DO schools because I believe my GPA is strong enough (cGPA = 3.87). I'm also aware that my stats may be competitive for Canadian schools depending on the MCAT; however, I'd like to broaden my chances as much as possible. 

ECs: Average... doctor shadowing, research for 3 years, independent study, possible 1st author publication, Co-founder of a club, tutoring, athletics, LOTS of volunteer hours at a hospital and now currently working at a hospital. Will have a LOR from a physician. 

Thank you for your feedback and have a great week-end. 

Your MCAT will determine if you will be competitive or not. So go do that, you don't need anyone telling you your chances when it is clearly contingent on your MCAT score :P

Aim for higher than a 31-32, while that score may get  you in, you'll obviously be better off with a higher score.

Your MCAT will determine if you will be competitive or not. So go do that, you don't need anyone telling you your chances when it is clearly contingent on your MCAT score :P

Aim for higher than a 31-32, while that score may get  you in, you'll obviously be better off with a higher score.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. I'll definitely aim high, I guess the purpose of my initial was post to see if my GPA and EC's will be competitive enough, if coupled with a strong MCAT score? (32+). 

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. I'll definitely aim high, I guess the purpose of my initial was post to see if my GPA and EC's will be competitive enough, if coupled with a strong MCAT score? (32+). 

Yes definitely. Your ECs are above average, most people don't have a first author pub at your stage and you have all the other ECs. 

Archived