Premed 101 Forums

Cgpa <3.8 Due To Extenuating Circumstances

Tfg1

Hello everyone,

My father passed away during my 2nd year, shifting the responsibility onto me to support a family of four and working >20 hours a week. As expected my grades were severely poor during my 2nd and 3rd year and despite trying to petition, York University declined it. During my 4th and current 5th year I plan to earn (assuming everything is on track) a 3.8 GPA (cGPA 3.3 however..), a research thesis, and a publication (fourth author) in Nature Communications. In addition I plan on conducting a Masters at UofT with an MD/PhD supervisor within the Medical Biophysics program. I plan on taking my MCAT next year or the year after that.

I know several Med Schools (Queens, Western, Ottawa) look at your last 2-3 years, and I can earn an excellent MCAT score, but I was wondering if anyone knew how much they take extenuating circumstances into consideration. I know Med Schools evaluate applications after they exceed the cutoff GPA, but with a cGPA of 3.3 I fear they won't even know the circumstances behind it. I would also appreciate if anyone could provide pointers how to even better improve my application so that I can reinforce that my 2nd to 3rd year was merely due to unfortunate events. I'm highly realistic about the situation, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated. 

I hope everything is better now for you and your family, and best of luck with your career moving forward! I think your best two years and strong research involvement's will help you a lot in your applications. Some schools do have areas to indicate tough circumstances.

With regards to the petition, what exactly would you be looking to do? Have the grades removed or something to that effect? I can tell you from my experience on a University Academic Appeals committee - that it won't happen. The best case scenario would be some form of action on the semester in question of the unfortunate event - however 2 years worth of semesters would not happen. Everyone heals differently, but it would be unfair in many regards to have any form of action over such a long period of time - but that is just my thoughts. 

Good luck!

I hope everything is better now for you and your family, and best of luck with your career moving forward! I think your best two years and strong research involvement's will help you a lot in your applications. Some schools do have areas to indicate tough circumstances.

With regards to the petition, what exactly would you be looking to do? Have the grades removed or something to that effect? I can tell you from my experience on a University Academic Appeals committee - that it won't happen. The best case scenario would be some form of action on the semester in question of the unfortunate event - however 2 years worth of semesters would not happen. Everyone heals differently, but it would be unfair in many regards to have any form of action over such a long period of time - but that is just my thoughts. 

Good luck!

I've had it happen but I was in a hospital for 7 months. 

Good luck!

At first I tried to appeal the 2nd year, but was told I didn't provide enough documentation (apparently a death certificate isn't enough, I had to get a psychiatrist report describing my emotional state) and that the drop date for the Winter semester courses were after my father's passing (so I should have dropped them). Unfortunately I was pretty upset so I didn't even bother to appeal it, since I couldn't believe they would provide those reasons for rejecting it. I was stupid for not appealing but my state of mind wasn't very reasonable either. 

What's done is done however, I'm just trying to make the most of my situation and try my best. I really appreciate the feedback.   

Archived