Premed 101 Forums

i love this place

Guest idreamofmeds

Guest idreamofmeds

Hi

I have been lurking around these boards for years (after I saw the article in CMAJ) but this is my first time posting. I just wanted to say that all the information I have recieved off these boards is priceless. Every question that has ever crossed my mind regarding the stressful road to med school has been answered, and then some. But now I need some good old fashioned encouragment. I know that this type of question has been answered countless times but can some one tell me what would be considered a "solid" GPA. I realize that each school has its cut offs that you have to meet (I have all that data down pat) I just want to know when all other factors are considered, what GPA would be sufficient to get into any school. (Eg- what do I need so I don't have to spend any more sleepless nights calculating prospective GPAs?)

Thanks

Sleepless in London :\

Guest Shahenshah

I am not sure if I am qualified to answer this as I still haven't got into medical school yet, but based on people I know who have got in, it seems if you have about 3.85 (OMSAS), you are pretty secure in the gpa side of things for most schools..also, every school use very different criterias in evaluating gpas (eg. western looks at best two years and so on)..obviously a 4.0 is the best, but honestly I think if you have a 3.85 and don't get in, then it probably was due to a lack of sufficient non-academic achievements..Now this doesn't mean if you have a 3.6 that you are screwed, it just means you might have to make up for it in the non-academic side..

Guest doctorfunk

I've heard that the omsas gpa calculation does not apply when one applies to an american medical school. Can someone comment on the amcas gpa calculation method? (i know that generally, one's gpa increases when converting from omsas to amcas)

From what I've come across surfing U.S. medschool sites, the big difference in converting a Can. gpa to a U.S. gpa lies in the value of a 'B' or an 'A'...For example,

'A' (AMCAS) = 4.0 = 80-100%

'A' (OMSAS) = 3.9 = 85-89%

'B' (AMCAS) = 3.5 = 75-79%

'B' (OMSAS) = 3.0 = 73-76%

Someone out there who knows better can correct me if I'm wrong....cheers,

DMac

Guest peachy

My grades converted roughly like that - but not exactly. Every Canadian school (well, not every, but you get the idea) converts differently - my recollection is that U of Toronto undergrad grades convert roughly equally from OMSAS to AMCAS, but that schools with letter grades generally fare better. That's because at US schools, often an "A-" means 90-93, an "A" is 94-97, etc ... completely different from in Canada.

Guest UWOMED2005

I'd say even a 3.7 gives you a solid shot. 3.7 is a bit low for U of T and U of O if you're not from Ottawa or an underservices community, but it's good enough for interviews at Queen's and UWO, and gives you a solid shot at Mac if you're essays/autobio sketch are perceived well. It's also the cutoff for Dal OOP applicants, for McGill, and I seem to remember a fair number of people in the 3.7-3.75 range getting into BC (though I'm pretty sure they were all from BC.)

To which article in CMAJ are you referring?

Guest idreamofmeds

There was an article in CMAJ a couple of years ago that mentioned websites geared towards pre-meds. They mentioned this one among a few other (I believe on of them was an interview feedback site that is no longer running).

Guest TimmyMax

Yeah, that interviewfeedback.com site was totally sweet, before it died, of course. I found it very helpful in preparing for my interviews. Anybody know where it ended up???

Timmy

Archived