Premed 101 Forums

Taking A Year Off To Do Research. Helping Or Hurting Application?

Hello, 

Im currently in a huge predicament regarding what I should do next year. I'm currently a third year student and I've been offered a 12 month internship position at the Princess Margarette Cancer Center. I'd be working as a research associate in the developmental and stem cell biology department. I've worked this out with administrators at my school so that I would earn the credit of a full year course to do this internship. 

However, it has been brought to my attention that many med school administrators are very strict on their applicants completing their undergraduate degree in 4 years. I was wondering if doing this internship and taking the year off would hurt or help my application for medical school? 

Any feedback is appreciated!

Hello, 

Im currently in a huge predicament regarding what I should do next year. I'm currently a third year student and I've been offered a 12 month internship position at the Princess Margarette Cancer Center. I'd be working as a research associate in the developmental and stem cell biology department. I've worked this out with administrators at my school so that I would earn the credit of a full year course to do this internship. 

However, it has been brought to my attention that many med school administrators are very strict on their applicants completing their undergraduate degree in 4 years. I was wondering if doing this internship and taking the year off would hurt or help my application for medical school? 

Any feedback is appreciated!

You're fine, many people take more than 4 years to complete undergrad. It's not like you're sitting around doing nothing. 

As always, look at specific school websites - but I do not think it will hinder you in any significant way. 

The only thing is though, if you're getting full-year credit for the course.. then that year might throw off some schools credit weighting schemes. I'd look into that - maybe it would be beneficial to NOT get credit as a course? I don't know, that is just a thought that comes to mind - up to you to do the research to figure out the ramifications. 

Archived