Premed 101 Forums

Course-Based Masters Vs. Thesis Masters (U Of T Vs Mac)

Many Canadian medical schools don't place much emphasis on the particulars of your masters degree (ie. Mac adcoms will give you a 1% bonus, Queens will be more lenient with the GPA cutoff, etc).

UofT however, is the only school (to my knowledge) that ensuring you complete a research based masters is key. They allow a lot of flexibility and you apply using a separate graduate student application, including a CV and other documentation.

Many Canadian medical schools don't place much emphasis on the particulars of your masters degree (ie. Mac adcoms will give you a 1% bonus, Queens will be more lenient with the GPA cutoff, etc).

UofT however, is the only school (to my knowledge) that ensuring you complete a research based masters is key. They allow a lot of flexibility and you apply using a separate graduate student application, including a CV and other documentation.

I know people who have received interviews from UofT despite being in a course-based masters program this year. At the end of the day, it's all about your research experience in general and someone doing a course-based masters doesn't necessarily have less, they probably have has amazing research experience from their undergrad as well. 

Fair enough - I should have said that completing a thesis based masters will give you a boost, not that it's key. However, despite the success of your colleagues, I don't think the course-based masters had actually improved their application. Consider these same applicants, before and after enrolling in the masters. They would have already had that research experience to begin with, and UofT states:

6) Can I choose to be evaluated as an undergraduate?

No. If there is little material to evaluate an applicant as a graduate student the Admissions Office may decide to evaluate the applicant as an undergraduate, but the applicant cannot choose this. It is at the discretion of the Admissions Office.

Source: http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/faq.htm#graduate

In such a case, since they are not adding additional research experience, the only advantage to completing the course-based masters with UofT is the addition of supplemental material - the CV, and additional letter. IMHO that's a negligible improvement as the research materials will be listed in the autobiographical sketch anyway, and a project supervisor's letter that would stem the tide would likely be included in the original 3 anyway. (For me for example, my research supervisor had to submit 2 letters, which was likely redundant with the exception of the comments on my thesis specifically).

Hi all

I am an International student with GPA-3.5 in Bachelor of Pharmacy and 4 years of experience as a Clinical SAS Programmer.I applied to  McMaster  e Health course based program.But,unfortunately i got mail that i am not selected. Actually i am very much keen to do Masters program in Health Informatics. Can any one please guide me any other alternatives to get admission in Health informatics in McMaster or in any other university.

Hi all

I am an International student with GPA-3.5 in Bachelor of Pharmacy and 4 years of experience as a Clinical SAS Programmer.I applied to  McMaster  e Health course based program.But,unfortunately i got mail that i am not selected. Actually i am very much keen to do Masters program in Health Informatics. Can any one please guide me any other alternatives to get admission in Health informatics in McMaster or in any other university.

Please PM me and I'll give you details. Thanks

Archived