Premed 101 Forums

Ethnicity and admission

Guest Koggetsu

Guest Koggetsu

I have heard that medical schools in canada may be inclined to have a certain percentageof people of minority ethinicity (eg. Chinese, Sri Lanken, Blacks, etc) into the program based on the makeup of the population in certain areas so that these future doctors can better serve those in that community. Is that true?

Guest medicator007

As TimmyMax said, I may not know ALL of the details out there, but to the best of my knowledge I have not heard of such a policy.

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest bcdentalgirl

Are ther special guidelines for aboriginal applicants? I seem to remember seeing something to the effect, although these guidelines may not necessarily constitute lowering of standards (I'm trying to be very careful here!). Can anyone expand on this?

Guest UOMeds05

As far as I know, as a whole, there are no special quotas in at least the 5 Ontario schools. In fact, a CMAJ article has just recently been released showing the demographics... and it showed that the representation in the schools was not reflective of the actual population. (I am pretty sure this was a recent article.)

Guest mirrille

As far as the official policy goes, there are no quotas with regards to ethnicity of applicants. The only exception to this is with regards to aboriginal applicants. For example, University of Alberta has 2 or 3 extra seats that can be added on for aboriginal applicants. Some schools allow you to specify if you want to apply as an aboriginal applicant and imply that this will prompt them to assess your application in some mysterious way that is somehow different from the way they treat "mainstream" applicants. I have no idea how that works. The reasoning is, as mentioned, that they want people to serve the aboriginal community and serve as role models, etc.

As for other minorities, there is no official favouritism or disadvantage (so they tell us). And if there was, what difference would it make? You can't change your ethnicity, so it wouldn't change anything about your end of the application. Focus on stuff like your ECs, grades, and of course your own growth as a person because that is much more important than worrying about how much value people put on your ethnicity.

At UWO there is NO policy that creates quotas for different ethnic or racial groups....just as there is not a set percentage of seats for men vs women. Such a policy would be interpreted as discrimination on racial/ethnic/gender grounds and would be challenged really fast....It is very clearly stated in the UWO admissions materials that age, sex, ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, etc, etc, etc are not looked at and will not be used in the admission decision.

The class selected by UWO is the top 133 people (based on GPA, MCAT and interview) that accept the offer of admission. We were told that the make-up of the class reflects the make-up of the applicant pool (in terms of gender proportion, racial/ethnic composition, undergraduate institution attended, etc). This may not reflect the general population of the area, but it does reflect the applicant pool. Seeing as people are self-selecting into the applicant pool, it obviously cannot be considered to be a random sample of the local popluation and would not be expected to necessarily reflect the area's population in age/gender/racial composition.

UWO does reserve three (3) places in the class for students of native/aboriginal ancestry. These students go through the same application process and must meet the SAME GPA and MCAT standards as the rest of the applicant pool to be eligible for an interveiw (no altered standards). However, once they get an interview, the native students compete solely amongst themselves for the three reserved seats. If these seats are not filled (no qualified applicants) they go back into the general pool. This is what happened this year. There are no successful applicants through the aboriginal pool in the class of 2006. The only other 'reserved' seats at UWO are for the MD/PhD program. There are three MD/PhD seats...applicants to this program must be accepted by both the MD and PhD programs. If these three seats are not filled, they go back into the general pool.

Guest Ian Wong

I believe UBC has put into place a policy for aboriginal applicants, but those individuals still must have strong academic standards. We don't have a policy for other ethnic groups.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

• 5 weeks later...

I've asked the UWO meds this question, but I'd now like to pose it to all meds: How ethnically/culturally diverse are your classes? Do you feel that your school has resources (ex. cultural clubs, etc.) for those specific ethnicities. I know the UWO has a ton of cultural clubs at the undergrad level, ranging from the African Students' Association to the Chinese Students' Association. Do you think that med students are involved in such clubs (if they have time:) ).

Also, does the med student life involve cultural activities? For example, at UCONN, students put on a cultural show in the first semester. Does this happen at other schools? If not, can you offer an explanation? Maybe there is not enough of a particular ethinic group or enough of a cultural diversity to warrant such a thing as a cultural show? Just wondering. I'd appreciate any thoughts you have.

C.

Formerly Chieka101; now new and improved... :D

Guest UWOMED2005

You've probably already seen this, but here is a link (hope it works) to our Celebrating Cultures group forum. They recently did a session on trying to accurately portray Islam to those of us who aren't Muslim, particularly to help us to be more understanding when we interact with Muslim patients. More events like this are planned (I think we also just had a Chinese New Year celebration but I was studying that day. :rolleyes ) and also different cultural reactions and customs is a frequent topic of PCL.

We also had such a ... interesting... take on Indian drama during the 2005 skit in Tachycardia last year. Actually, last year's Tachy had a bit of an ethnicity theme, as there was a bit of Jewish "tradition" (;) ) in the 2004 skit. I'm sure if people were so inclined they could involve culturally-themed performances into the "coffeehouses" and other things held by the Artsy club (I forget what they're called).

I don't think it's due to lack of representation by ethnic groups, but as you guessed time is a major factor as it always is. Though I suffer from significant ethnicity-blindness (I guess you could say it's in the blood) and I don't personally see why it needs a special venue, since it really should be part of your everyday life and proudly shared as such. (And by the way, it's Asian New Year or Lunar New Year -- it's not just for the Chinese. :) )

Our first-year class at Queen's is pretty diverse (see our class composite), pretty much like the rest of Queen's, I'd say. There aren't any ethnic clubs/associations specific to med students, but Queen's undergrad student society (student "government", they like to say) has clubs for most everything you can imagine, and some of the class is pretty active in those. Particularly the Queen's Asian Cooking Club, for one.

Also on a cultural note, Queen's Medical Variety Night isn't of any particular ethnic persuasion, but it's a pretty major cultural event med/health sciences students put on every year for local charity, pushing the artistic boundaries of the stage, reaching new heights of musical expression, and of course setting the standard for Tech Crew excellence! =)

[edited to fix link]

Thanks so much for the info and the links - I am impressed (and relieved) to see so much diversity in your classes.

Any other meds out there that can add their experiences?

C.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

Thanks for posting the Queen's class composite link again. I just had a quick look through it and oddly enough, I think there's a student who I used to babysit in the first year class! I wonder?! The last time I saw the wee bugger he was five years old and challenging me to play chess--I guess, if it's him, he kept nicely on that trajectory of learning!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Kirsteen,

Hey, if you happen to have any baby photos or such that would make pleasant surprise content for our website, let me know! We've already tracked down screen shots from one of our classmate's past lives on You Can't Do That On Television back in the 80s for the site gallery.

Thanks!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi QM6,

I don't think I ever took any photos of the kids (I started babysitting he and his brother, Ari when I was ~13 or 14 and didn't own a camera back then). If you know anyone in your class with a bro named Ari and a (great) set of parents--Carl and Randy--(one of whom is a rheumatologist here in TO), tell them I said hi!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

UWOMED2005, you might recognise him from this YCDTOTV scene. (It was on our website front page for a while, hence the graphic - I actually got the quote wrong. Guess I wasn't that big of a fan I thought I was, though I do remember actually seeing Alanis Morrisette on.)

Kirsteen, I actually have no idea who that is... but if the names ever come up I'll make a mention of it!

Archived