Premed 101 Forums

Are Premed 101 Forum Members Really A Skewed Sample Of The Average Applicant?

I know it's been claimed that we are a skewed sample in that the average invited to interview/accepted person who posts on here is not representative of the general applicant pool. Is this really true? Are the GPA and ECs really that out of the ordinary on this forum?

If you have friends or know people who are applying who aren't on here, what kind of experiences do they generally have?

Many of the premeds I know offline, who don't participate in this forum, do not have ECs or GPAs in the same range as the bulk of PM101 members. Thing is, this forum is heavily skewed towards Ontario applicants who, on the whole, have to be more competitive because of how competitive those schools are relative to the rest of the country. Fully half of applicants to Canadian med schools apply to Ontario schools (hell, fully half of all med applicants in Canada apply to McMaster) so the process is much more competitive. The applicant pool gets more exclusive by the year.

But I know plenty of people offline who have gotten in to schools for which they are IP with stats that would not be considered competitive for Ontario. I think PM101 is skewed towards more "impressive" candidates largely because it is skewed towards Ontario applicants, but also because people with good stats are probably more likely to post them.

Man, living in Ontario sucks haha.

Many of the premeds I know offline, who don't participate in this forum, do not have ECs or GPAs in the same range as the bulk of PM101 members. Thing is, this forum is heavily skewed towards Ontario applicants who, on the whole, have to be more competitive because of how competitive those schools are relative to the rest of the country. Fully half of applicants to Canadian med schools apply to Ontario schools (hell, fully half of all med applicants in Canada apply to McMaster) so the process is much more competitive. The applicant pool gets more exclusive by the year.

But I know plenty of people offline who have gotten in to schools for which they are IP with stats that would not be considered competitive for Ontario. I think PM101 is skewed towards more "impressive" candidates largely because it is skewed towards Ontario applicants, but also because people with good stats are probably more likely to post them.

It's interesting that there are a lot of people that get multiple interviews on here, while even getting one as in IP Ontarian is pretty impressive. I'm practicing with other people who also have multiple interviews, and I think it's really skewing my perception of what the average interviewee is like... anyone else experience this? I know average MMI scores are generally like 5/10, etc. but what counts as average nowadays? haha.

One interesting stat from OMSAS over the past 40 years  ----   the success rate for applicants to medical school has been pretty consistent  (between 14% -17%).

So while there have been more applicants, the schools have created more spots as well.

Wonder what the GPA/MCAT thresholds were in 1975 ?    I suspect it may show considerable grade inflation trends. 

http://www.ouac.on.ca/statistics/med_app_stats/

• 1 month later...

I agree with GPA inflations, since its quite clearly shown from any admission stats (and interview stats collated from PM 101) that there is a definite left skew. However, I think the effect of MCAT skewing would be less significant since MCAT score is supposed to be a scaled score. Hence, if MCAT scores are indeed rising for interviewees/matriculants, it is more likely in my opinion that the canadian applicants are actually getting better (relative to everyone who wrote the MCAT during that day of course).

Also i don't entirely agree with the argument that more spots are opened because of more students. Usually, governmental boards regulate the number of spots available at a medical school based on funding/budgetary policies in place. So even if there are more applicants, there may not be more funding for the school and hence no more seats would be created. Case in point (I think), Mac has seen the applicants rise by around 300 from last year alone. Still the same ol' 203 seats.

One interesting stat from OMSAS over the past 40 years  ----   the success rate for applicants to medical school has been pretty consistent  (between 14% -17%).

So while there have been more applicants, the schools have created more spots as well.

Wonder what the GPA/MCAT thresholds were in 1975 ?    I suspect it may show considerable grade inflation trends. 

http://www.ouac.on.ca/statistics/med_app_stats/

A bunch of my friends have stats that are better than or equal to those posted on the forum yet just look and don't actually post. Like I think the majority of people on this forum give a pretty good foundation of the stats required to be successful in Ontario. Of course it can be incredibly intimidating but when I compare to friends who are not posting on here and have been invited for interviews I think they align pretty well. 

fightoffyourdemons,

Some schools post statistics (e.g. U of T entering class MCAT section scores - http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/statistics.htm) that you might find helpful.

U of T also states that they consider 3.8 as competitive even though 3.6 is the minimum acceptable score. (http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/faq.htm - under the "About Academic Programs" section).

Yes, but that's weighted GPA. If anything Queen's might have the least skewed data I think...

fightoffyourdemons,

Some schools post statistics (e.g. U of T entering class MCAT section scores - http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/statistics.htm) that you might find helpful.

U of T also states that they consider 3.8 as competitive even though 3.6 is the minimum acceptable score. (http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/faq.htm - under the "About Academic Programs" section).

Lithos

Archived