Premed 101 Forums

when should we call to go over our file?

Guest ssup

If we were rejected (without interview) from a university, when would we call to enquire as to what we can improve on etc?

I'm wondering what the standard protocol is in this case...

Guest therealcrackers

When I was rejected by U of T back in the day, I asked if I could get the run-down on why. They suggested that I check back after they had finished both the interviews and the rest of the application cycle. That is to say, October. I did. I got a good answer as to why my application had been rejected (I had made a silly but entirely rejectable mistake in the paperwork). Still didn't get in the next time I applied to U of T, but Western did say yes that time.

That being said, a good time to call might be after the school in question's interviewing cycle is over, but well before May 31st if such a possibility exists (for Ontario anyway). They may be able to help you then, but they may also ask you to call back at a considerably later date. Hope it goes well!

Guest aimshigh

therealcrackers,

Do you mind letting others know what little mistake was made in your paperwork? I found a small spelling error in mine after I electronically sent it to the U of A and have been stressing about it ever since.:( I must have read it a thousand times prior to sending it and I still didn't catch it!!! The spelling mistake never came up in my interview, but now I'm worried that this may give them cause to reject my application...

Guest aneliz

Don't worry...they are not going to reject you solely because of ONE spelling mistake....I would be willing to put money on that one...if it was that big of a concern, they wouldn't have granted you an interview!!! Relax....

Guest therealcrackers

I was at a conference in Colorado in late January-early February that year. Okay, it was 1996 and I was a second year master's student. I had put the lab as my contact address, and while I was away at the conference, they (u of T) asked for a letter of support from my supervisor, due Feb 1st. I got back on the 3rd---and read this on the 4th. My file was not continued, even though I asked if everything was complete about a month later; so it wasn't a single spelling mistake... but a single bad decision that caused to wait an additional five years before beginning. But hey, I got a PhD out of it.

Archived