Premed 101 Forums

Grad school or Med School? HELP!

Guest bj

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there me maniac,

At UofT, at least, there are part-time options for students wishing to pursue M.Sc. degrees in Epi or Clin. Epi (and perhaps other programs within the Public Health umbrella). There are currently many MDs who take this route given that they generally wish to keep practicing while completing their degrees, hence, during our classes the beepers and cell phones are perpetually sounding. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest me maniac

Kirsteen,

thanks for your response. does that mean they do those courses in the evenings? or do they book off time from their practice during the day? Is there a research component to it? Is it still two years even though it is part time?

Lots of ???? I know! Thanks for any info you can provide.

me

i know there's an emerg doc (staff) doing his master's right now at u of a and he doesn't work full time, but does work sometimes and spends a lot of time working on his masters.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again me maniac,

There are Masters programs, e.g., UofT's M.Sc. in Clinical Epidemiology that are geared specifically to practicing health professionals (other universities aside from UofT offer similar programs). One of the strict entrance requirements to this program is that the student must hold a professional degree, e.g., RN, MD. Almost all of the courses are held during the day, although it's not uncommon to find that the courses are scheduled optimally, e.g., one lecture per week for 3 hours instead of three, one-hour lectures. Also, I took a Clin. Epi. course this past year which began at 8am and ended at 10am, again, once per week. I was the only Epi. student in the course, with the other students being Clin. Epi. students, and the majority of whom were completing their degree part-time while continuing to work within their respective fields.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

Sorry, there were a couple of questions that I didn't answer: yes, I do believe that the M.Sc. Clin. Epi. does have a research component, although there are the M.H.Sc. programs which do not require a formal thesis, and which do not require the professional degree for entrance.

As to the length of the program, currently ~8 half-courses are required for its completion, so it's really up to you as to the duration of your program, depending upon how quickly you complete those courses while working. (By the way, the time required to complete the coursework does tend to be significant, especially if you want to do well.)

Another upside to the Clin. Epi. program especially: most of the courses they offer are geared towards the production of a publishable paper by the course's end. For example, in the Systematic Reviews course, although they teach you the minutiae of conducting a systematic review based on randomized controlled clinical trials, they expect you to enter the course with a topic that can be lodged on the Cochrane Collaboration, and subsequently published there. As a bit of an aside, one person I know who completed the program a couple of years ago (he finished it in two years while completing his neurosurgery residency at UT) published a total of five papers from his Clin. Epi. coursework.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Thanks to everyone who has contributed their experience and expertise to this thread. I really appreciate it. I was able to get an extension on the deadline for replying to the master's program. Like many others out there, I am going to decide when I have all my cards on the table, so to speak. Let's just hope I get to play with a full deck! :b

(My Dad is a poker whiz, so I come by these quirky and cheesy analogies honestly!;) )

BJ

Guest batman

On this topic, a related question, or rather paranoia:

I'm applying to some grad programs as a backup, but what if the grad programs have possible cross-affiliated faculty (ie. LMP and U of T Med) - is there a chance that someone on the Meds admissions comittee is also on the grad school admissions board, and they realize an application to both...would this affect things negatively? I'm sure they know that people apply to both, but perhaps I'm just being stupid?

I swear, May 31st seems so far away....

Guest cheech10

The LMP faculty that I know are not on the meds admissions committee, although there might be a couple. I wouldn't worry about it though, and I wouldn't suggest withdrawing a grad school application for that reason.

Hey batman,

I think cheech is right. I applied (and was accepted) to grad school at U of T in a program that is STRONGLY affiliated with the medical school. I have a feeling that the ad coms would get in big trouble if they started saying: "well, person X already got into grad school, so he/she is obviously not dedicated to meds. . ." or something to that effect. I am certain that they evaluate every application based on its merits and based on the information they are "allowed" to possess--which likely does not include your personal activities (like applying to grad school).

Provide some relief? Didn't think so. May 31st seems like a lifetime away. . .just like it did last year at this time! :b

BJ

Archived