Premed 101 Forums

Is it possible to get C's & still make it?

Guest Cloudancing

Guest Cloudancing

Forgive me if this question has already been asked. The reason I ask is because I have just completed my 1st year of university. Yay:) But my average is going to be low from what I can tell so far.

So far, I have 2C's and a B-. The other course results will be mediocre (I'm expecting a D and another B-) I don't know this for a fact yet but I'm still far far away from that 3.7 average I should have:\ . Unfortunately my average will likely be in the 2.0 range:o . I mean, I goofed off a bit around november but I pulled my socks up in January. It feels like I did all that work for nothing:( .

I still have 3 more years to work even harder. Right? I suppose I'm just wondering if this killed my chances at actually getting into medical school. Right now I'm in summer school taking a few sciences (pre-reqs). I haven't given up hope yet.

My question is, is there any hope for people who have a horrible first year? Did anybody here manage to foul up and still make it into med school? Thank-you for reading8o Anybody have any thoughts?

Guest UWOMED2005

No, it hasn't killed your chances at all. Many schools will either look at a few select years (ie UWO or Queen's) or eliminate courses and/or years (U of T.)

I'd count this past year as a scrap year and start all over (mentally) from scratch. As long as you get closer to that 3.7 mark (and it doesn't necessarily have to be exactly 3.7, depending on which schools we're talking about and what cutofs they use) from this year on (and even your second year can be excluded for some schools) you should be fine. But you definitely need to improve things next year, as a 2.0 won't cut it.

Good luck. . . maybe someone else could provide more details about which specific schools you're still in the running for. I know you're definitely still in the running for UWO.

Guest ssup

Cloudancing,

I think there definitely is hope for students who may have had one bad year. You might want to consider applying in you fifth year of post-secondary education, however, because some schools like UBC will drop your lowest year of grades (as long as it's not your last year). The only problem for you would be if you did your med school first year pre-reqs this year (first year bio/chem/physics/english) because your Pre-req courses aren't dropped no matter how many years of post-secondary you do.

I can tell you that I have many friends who's undergrad GPA was less than perfect but who chose to pursue a pHD/Masters and then apply to medical school. I think that if you can show them that your first year 'indiscretions' was just a phase and that you were able to maintain a high academic standing for the remainder of undergard and some post-grad, they will likely understand...

Good luck to you!!! Don't give up hope just yet...

Ssup

Guest TimmyMax

Hey cloudancing,

No worries about spending more time at the bar than the library during first year. My first year GPA was 2.08 and I managed to get my act together and make it in. Even ended up with a choice of schools! It sounds like you have gotten your act together and are now focussed on the task at hand, so the rest should be gravy! Good luck with your studies and slackers rule! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest ikaj

Hey Cloudancing,

even if you did take the pre-req courses in your first year and did poorly in them, I think you can take a higher level course to "upgrade"-that is if you haven't failed that course.

For example, at the uofa, say you got a low mark in a 100 level biology course, you can take a 200 level course next year (and get a good mark!), they will only look at your 200 level biology grade to calculate your mark.

does that make sense?

Guest Cloudancing

@UWOMED2005:

I will take your advice. I will scrap this year and chalk it up to experience...an experience that really wasn't all that good..but an experience no less. I know a 2.0 or a 2.(insert any number here) isn't good enough. I got smoked this year, and I didn't like it:eek . Thank you very much for your words of encouragement. They are very appreciated. Can I ask you something else? Right now, I'm taking biology but it is in the summer of the horrible 1st year I just finished. Does it matter if I get an 80% or is it going to get jumbled in with the fall term? In other words do you think it will be looked at on its own or with the rest of my first year courses? I suppose it doesn't matter, my clean slate starts today.:\

@ikaj

If you mean that I can take for example bio100 and then get a C, and then the next year take bio200 (or some other life science) and get a B to make up for the C then yes, it does make sense:) I haven't lost hope yet. Thank-you for explaining.;)

@TimmyMax:

Alright! I'm not the only one who fouled up! Thank-you for providing a ray of hope and adding humour to a bad situation:rollin

@ssup:

5th year? I dunno if I want to do any additional studying especially grad school. I haven't exactly found my niche yet and I cannot fathom having to take something I'm not interested in for the sole purpose of getting into medical school. But point well taken, I'll consider and cross that bridge if I come to it. Thanks for answering:)

Guest everyoneloveschem

Hi, Don't give up!!! You can still get it with a couple Cs (maybe not 20 of them;) ). I had an interview at Mac this year (might not get in, but I did get an interview) and I got a 57 in first year Calculus course. My first year marks weren't great; I was overwhelmed with Calculus and Physics for Honours Physics Majors (I hate Physics) and a programming course. Getting those @#%$ marks in first year really lit a fire under me though, because I got scared that I would go NO WHERE. So I started studying much harder. It also helps as you get to know your classmates, and you become more interested in your courses, and maybe you have the opportunity to take some fun side courses (for all that I like chemistry, my italian culture courses were a joy to go to). If after 2nd year you totally hate your program still, maybe consider changing programs: you won't do as well if you aren't interested in what you study. Good luck!!

Guest Cloudancing

Hey, thanks for the input everyoneloveschem! I know what you mean about that "fire" LoL. I feel like that right now. I didn't conciously try to get bad grades. I think I just took stuff that I thought I was interested in and then my interest faded when I found out what it was really about (and when my grades plummeted). I wanted to drop some courses but then I would have lost money and earned less credits and it would have been a huge mess. Anyway, when I realized that I was going to get these horrible grades I decided that next year had to be different. I am hoping to find my niche soon. :)

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Chowchilla,

Sorry for my lateness in replying- I was in New Hampshire all weekend for a wedding and didn't get back until today.

In my first year I had some dumb idea that I was going to be a math major since I did well in my OAC math courses- boy, whoever said that your OAC grades are inflated was sure right! Instead of the "frosh 15", I got more of a "frosh 50"!

Anyway, I took Calculus, Algebra & Geometry, Physics, Biology and Music History in my 1st year. Both of my maths were of the "math major" variety (I could have taken the "life science" or "math for biologists" version, but I wanted an a$$-whipping, uh, I mean challenge). I ended up somehow passing both, to the tune of a 52 in calculus (that's a D- to those keeping score at home) and a very unremarkable rest of my transcript, save an 'A' in music history- what a great course! :)

Anyway, the point is even though you may find yourself with a bruised a$$ and ego after your 1st year, never give up! Half the battle is bouncing back from setbacks and being able to pick yourself up and dust yourself off will help you in so many aspect of life! So keep pushing forward and remember that slackers rule! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest grandmellon

Don't worry about the one bad year... I had a bad year in 2nd year because of some crazy life circumstances but this year my GpA is much better... one year isn't going to hurt you but more than one year will. So remember that partying every other night isn't good unless you go to med school at western. ;) (They work hard and party hard... so they say anyways).

Good luck!! If you set your mind to it you can achieve your goals

Guest UWOMED2005

We were partying pretty with your nursing classmates at the Martini Bar that night you wrote your last exams. Yes, I was there that night and so were you! :D

Oh yeah, and we work hard too. . . but that's a given. It's med school for crying out loud!

Guest Jerika81

I also had a write off first year. I started out majoring in Sciences and I just hated all my classes in first year. I ended up with about a 2.7 GPA for the year, including two C- in both my Calculus courses. The only class I liked that year was Psychology so I decided to change my major to Psych after my first year. Then in second year when I was actually taking courses I liked, I was able to get a much better GPA.

So I think the whole point of first year isn't to get a 4.0, it's to figure out what you like and what courses you really want to be taking for the next three years.

My bad first year had pretty much no effect on my chances of getting in to med school this year. Most schools don't look at your cumulative GPA. Of the schools I applied to it only really mattered for U of A but I still managed to get an interview there as well as at 3 other schools, so having a bad first year will probably have little effect on whether or not you get in to medicine.

Guest Lactic Folly

If this comes up in an interview.. in the absence of extenuating circumstances for poor performance in second year, there isn't much you can say except that you had some maturity to gain :|

Anything else doesn't sound right, especially for medically relevant courses. Just a thought. Any other explanations that don't call into question work ethic/motivation?

Guest Cloudancing

@ Jerika81:

I hated a lot of my classes too. And the one I liked the most, I did the worst in. And one of the ones I thought I was going to fail, I ended up with a B-. Weird huh? I suppose like you, some of this can be chalked up to being uninterested in the stuff I took. I'll be sure to pick things I'm really interested in next time. I'm glad to hear that it didn't ruin your chances. Thanks for sharing:)

Archived