Premed 101 Forums

Pharmacy as a premed.

Guest druggist

Guest druggist

Hello everyone!

My friend is a first year medical student and referred me to this site. I was wondering, I am going into my third year of a BSc (Pharm) and was wondering if this is an okay degree to use for application to medical school. I did some job shadowing last year and have been volunterring for 3 years on and off and ahve decided that Med is exactly what I want for my life. I only have one year of science (biology, chem, physics, english, psych, calc) and took a cell summer course, plus organic, and biochem along with pharmacology etc. from pharmacy. Is this adequate for applying? I am enjoying the degree as far as content goes, but I have worked in the pharmacy field and *hate* it. Should I take a normal BSc, or stick with it and cross my fingers when applying.

Is this a common/uncommon degree?

Thanks peoples

Cheers

Guest UWOMED2005

We don't have any pharmacists in our class, but I'm pretty sure there have been in the past. I think Aneliz can comment for UWO on this.

It certainly would be a great background. . . I'm still have trouble remembering the names of all the beta-blockers, ACE inhibitors, Angiotensin II antagonists, and the like. Why do they keep inventing more drugs for us med students to have to learn about? :P

Guest ikaj

pharmacy sounds like a good back up plan-but I hear from friends that it is harder to maintain a high gpa.

i know one person who had an:eek 8.2 (alberta) in first year...but in her first year of pharmacy she was dropping to 6's

:eek

Guest aneliz

I don't know of any former pharm students currently at UWO...but it shouldn't make any difference to your chances!

You need to have 3 years (15 credits) finished before you are eligible for med at UWO. You must have 2 full time years (5.0 credits Sept-April) that are over the GPA cut to be eligible. Your GPA for interview decision purposes will be based ONLY on your best full time year...and as long as it is over the cut, you have as good a chance as anybody else does! The pre-reqs for UWO are listed in the UWO forum or on the faculty of med website. You can complete them as late as the summer before med if you are offered an accpetance.

Good luck!

Guest jmh2005

I personally think Pharm is a great pre-med program...double bang for your buck...you can always work if you don't get in right away (and save some cash for the tutition, some people even worked as a Pharm during med school!!), actually I worked with an anesthesiolgist who's background was pharm...there are several people in my year and the two above me who did Pharm...and it's practical knowledge that will help you out tremedously throughout your training...!!!

Guest MDFEVER

You have to complete the first year undergrad to get into Pharmacy and it is a four-year program. Therefore, you have to use 5 years for your pre med education unless you want to apply to medicine before you finished your degree. As far as I know, it is veru hard to maintain 80% average in Pharmacy.

Guest UofCMeds2005

There is a pharm in our class and I would say it is for sure an asset. She knows more about the drugs than some of our docs. She is a great resource for people in our class and she still works at the hospital part time for cash...

Guest druggist

Wow,

This is actually much more than I expected. You people really gave me the words I needed to hear! I expected to log on tonight and find no replies, as usually posts on boards go ignored! All of your posts were extremely helpful, and full of statements that I have heard even from some docs I know. I too know two anesthesiologists who did a BSc (Pharm) as their background, one even worked as a clinical pharmacist for 3 years before he even applied for the first time. Everyones ideas on it being harder to maintain higher grades were very true. Pharmacy so far has been a very demanding program with nonstop pharmacotherapy and pharmacology, along with calculating pharmacokinetic dosing regimens until nausea. However, I do believe that this program is very maturing and gives a good perspective on health care and the like. If anyone has any further suggestions I will be logging on much more often now that Ive seen the replies!

THANKS SO MUCH!

Cheers

Archived