Premed 101 Forums

Second thoughts...

Guest gwendolenharleth

Guest UWOMED2005

I agree with Peachy, wait until you get your responses Friday/Monday/whenever they come in.

But I will comment anyways: this is a real toughy. I agree with Sil, every med student has their doubts at some time or another. It's only natural, you're human. And medicine comes with both a lot of good (helping people, stable and respected career) and bad (killing people, years of debt and hardwork) and if you were blissfully ignorant about the bad, that would be bad as well. But the bad can be overstated.

But if you SERIOUSLY THINK you might not be happy in medicine, and are only going into it because "it's something to do" or "it would make your parents happy" I'd highly, highly recommend turning down that offer of acceptance. You can apply again (though there is no guarantee you'll be accepted again) but once you start accumulating debt (unless parents are paying and they don't mind you bailing), it's not long before you accumulate too much debt not to go through and practice for at least a little while, if only because it's hard to pay of the student debts otherwise.

Oh yeah, and don't worry about the science. While medicine steals a lot of ideas from science and you need to understand physiology to understand much of medicine, I don't find it anything like science at all. Oh, and don't let fears of blood or killing people or similar things keep you out of medicine. . . there's actually quite a diversity of careers within medicine, not all of them involve performing open thoracotomies (ie cracking a chest open) in a crowded waiting rooming every day.

Guest gwendolenharleth

There seems to be no shortage of stories on this board that describe people who went into medicine and ended up hating it. What I'm wondering is, how common is this situation? These stories -- like boogeyman stories -- always make for interesting reading, but how real are they? We all know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody. Including me - I know several very good GPs who have disappeared from practice (all women, incidentally). Probably none of them would say they hated medicine - but they're gone nonetheless. Can anyone venture an educated guess as to the seriousness of this problem?

Guest UWOMED2005

I know of a few cases of doctors hating medicine. I know many, many more of people loving their careers. Or at least finding something about that kept them going on.

But does it really matter what happened to these other people? The real question is whether YOU will love or hate medicine. . . after all, it wouldn't matter if every other story ended up with the doctor hating medicine, if you ended up loving your career and your life based on what you decided.

Good Luck.

Archived