Premed 101 Forums

In Need Of Some Advice ...

Hi, 

So I'm a forth year Canadian student at York and I'm just looking for a little advice on what to do with my situation...

My stats are as follows: 
First year: 2.86 
Second year: 2.65

Summer course: 3.3

Third year: 3.90
Summer course: 3.0
Forth year: 4.0 (so far it looks like this ... ) 

cGPA: ~3.52 

Taking pre-reqs (chem II, orgo I&II and physics in the summer and during my gap year) aiming for As in all classes 

As for my first and second year, I know they're god awful, but I do have my reasons which have to do with personal circumstances and will explain much of this in my application.  

My MCAT is pathetic, I tried to take it during the school year, complete mistake and I am now going to take it during the summer, I know I can do much much better and am actually looking forward to writing the new MCAT. 

I know some medical schools in the states like upward trends and I feel like that is kind of all I have going for me, but I've definitely made a lot of changes in my life and realized my mistakes and have worked to correct them. I think I've done a decent job at it so far ... but any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance! 

1) Don't attempt the mcat prior to getting in your prereqs again. 

2) Don't take the MCAT while simultaneously attempting to carry 3 or more courses. (I recommend no courses while prepping for MCAT)

Sometimes when you start seeing good grades after a drought, you can get overconfident about your abilities. Try not doing too much at once. Focus on your courses, then focus on the MCAT and then lets see where you are. 

1) Don't attempt the mcat prior to getting in your prereqs again. 

2) Don't take the MCAT while simultaneously attempting to carry 3 or more courses. (I recommend no courses while prepping for MCAT)

Sometimes when you start seeing good grades after a drought, you can get overconfident about your abilities. Try not doing too much at once. Focus on your courses, then focus on the MCAT and then lets see where you are. 

This is sound advice.

I would do Chem II and Physics 1 during the summer, then do Orgo 1, orgo 2 and physics 2 during the year - and do the mcat early Winter(Januaryish) - that way you can retake it if necessary in april/may before the application cycle opens up for the US.

I would try to get the MCAT done in one go though,  and i think doing Orgo 1 and MCAT from Sept-Dec is perfectly doable and not a problem at all - as well if you are working part-time etc.

Post up your proposed timelines and we can critique if necessary. 

Thank you so much for your replies, it means a lot to get some advice (and sorry for the late reply - work)

Originally my plan was to take Chem II in the summer along with prep 101 and write the new MCAT come August ... then take orgo I&II and physics throughout the year sept-april
However, with your replies I'm re-thinking things...ideally I would like to apply this cycle (maybe it is a long shot but maybe worth it for the experience?) 

Maybe it would be a good idea to take chem II and physics in the summer and aim to write the MCAT in september? Classes and exams end at the beginning of August, so it would leave me with a month to study for MCAT full time. And at York I would pretty much do an entire year worth of physics over the summer. 

Thank you so much for your replies, it means a lot to get some advice (and sorry for the late reply - work)

Originally my plan was to take Chem II in the summer along with prep 101 and write the new MCAT come August ... then take orgo I&II and physics throughout the year sept-april

However, with your replies I'm re-thinking things...ideally I would like to apply this cycle (maybe it is a long shot but maybe worth it for the experience?) 

Maybe it would be a good idea to take chem II and physics in the summer and aim to write the MCAT in september? Classes and exams end at the beginning of August, so it would leave me with a month to study for MCAT full time. And at York I would pretty much do an entire year worth of physics over the summer. 

The upcoming cycle is out of the question if your MCAT isn't until August - don't rush things. You will need chem 2 and physics 1 and 2 for the mcat. Orgo 1 as well (orgo 2 not so much).

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but you don't apply to US schools "for the experience" because being labelled as a re-applicant isn't a good idea. 

Dont rush, do well in the classes and the MCAT - it will serve you better this way.

Thank you for your input, certainly has me re-thinking my plan.

It may not be what I wanted to hear but it kind of confirmed what I was thinking. I'm just eager for the next step I guess. 

I think I will take Chem 2 in the summer, then orgo 1 and physics 1 (fall) and physics 2 and biochem (winter)... something like this anyways. Then I'll take the MCAT sometime in 2016 when it fits my schedule. 

What's one more year right? 

Thank you for your input, certainly has me re-thinking my plan.

It may not be what I wanted to hear but it kind of confirmed what I was thinking. I'm just eager for the next step I guess. 

I think I will take Chem 2 in the summer, then orgo 1 and physics 1 (fall) and physics 2 and biochem (winter)... something like this anyways. Then I'll take the MCAT sometime in 2016 when it fits my schedule. 

What's one more year right? 

That sounds like a good plan - i mean, you can even take physics 1 in the summer with Chem 2 if you're not working or anything like that. 

But yeah that is a good plan - as someone who took a few years longer, it definitely paid in dividends with a solid app on the first go. It is much less mentally exhausting i can imagine compared to applying year after year like many people have to do.

Yah, I think its a better plan to go into more prepared the first time (but I'm sure you also understand my eagerness), getting in the first time around is always the dream. 

At York Physics is considered a year long course and taking it in the summer means it will be fairly condensed (two 3 hr lectures/wk plus lab) plus chemistry ... I still might toy with this idea, but I will definitely be working, I've worked through my entire undergrad, may also try to squeeze in some volunteering.

At any rate, I truly appreciate the advice! It helps hearing from people that are or have gone through the same thing - thanks! 

Archived