Premed 101 Forums

Mmi Interview Video

Have faith! I didn't think I had a steamin' poop's chance last year :) Hope to see you in September - until then, forget about all this stressful mess and enjoy the beginning of your summer!

As for the 480 - have to have overbooking to the nines to cover all the people who turn down spots (and red flagged folks, etc). Dr. Walker talked about this issue a lot with Calgary's policy of interview spots/invites/waitlist... good reading if you have the chance!

the "#BetterThanCumming" at the end got me, i laughed pretty damn hard... people were staring... 

And if they had kept it at that, it would have been perfect. But pretty much every chance they got, an Alberta student couldn't resist telling us how much better UofA was compared to Calgary. Pretty much every second comment had to be validated with a comparison to UofC.

I have no doubt that the competition between the two schools is friendly and collegial, honestly, but it still got a little ridiculous at times. Calgary didn't even mention Alberta during their interviews, except once when they compared the 4 year program to a 3 year one. Makes me wonder what Alberta is compensating for...

And if they had kept it at that, it would have been perfect. But pretty much every chance they got, an Alberta student couldn't resist telling us how much better UofA was compared to Calgary. Pretty much every second comment had to be validated with a comparison to UofC.

I have no doubt that the competition between the two schools is friendly and collegial, honestly, but it still got a little ridiculous at times. Calgary didn't even mention Alberta during their interviews, except once when they compared the 4 year program to a 3 year one. Makes me wonder what Alberta is compensating for...

No one is compensating for anything. UofA med program is ranked 5th and Calgary is ranked 12th in 2015 Macleans. Obviously, there are other factors such as location, weather, family, etc. 

It's just a friendly little jab at the UofC folks.

The students who tell you that UofA > UofC are genuinely trying to help you. A large proportion of our class are Calgarians.. Actually the number may be only a little bit less than the number of Edmontonians. And yes, obviously they are going to be more biased towards UofA since they're current students!  :P

The fact  UofA is 4 years alone, in my opinion, is enough to make it the better choice. I mean 3 years of med school with 3 two week breaks throughout....thats rough. UofC has its strengths, and as far as being ranked, any Canadian med school is going to get you where you want to be. Thats the beauty of Canadian medical schools!

I hope i get the chance to choose UofA over Calgary because Edmonton is home at the end of the day, but i wouldn't mind going to Calgary at all if i had no other option!

either way UofA or UofC I'm so stoked to even be eligible for a spot in med school.....and now we play the waiting game....

No one is compensating for anything. UofA med program is ranked 5th and Calgary is ranked 12th in 2015 Macleans. Obviously, there are other factors such as location, weather, family, etc.

It's just a friendly little jab at the UofC folks.

The students who tell you that UofA > UofC are genuinely trying to help you. A large proportion of our class are Calgarians.. Actually the number may be only a little bit less than the number of Edmontonians. And yes, obviously they are going to be more biased towards UofA since they're current students! :P

Macleans isn't ranking the medical schools. They are ranking the Universities that have medical schools. That being said, I wouldn't put too much faith in their rankings anyway.

Like Harvey said, U of A is just trying to convince you that their program is "better" since they go there. However, people choose U of A over U of C (and vice versa) for various reasons.

Personally, U of C's program appeals to me more but if I were ever accepted to both, I'd choose U of A since I have a house and spouse here.

Archived